The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Anyone see the end of the utah/Cleveland game last night?
Ricky Davis takes the inbounds pass and attempts a shot at Utah's basket just to get the rebound for the Trip/Doub.
Chuck, what should the ruling be?
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
You know what? I'm going to embarrass myself and admit that I don't know which team Ricky Davis plays for. I'm guessing that he shot at the wrong basket, otherwise I don't see why this would be an issue.

If he shot at the wrong basket, then I would guess there's no rebound, since it's not a shot attempt. It's clearly not illegal to shoot at the wrong basket. But since it's not a legitimate try, there's no rebound for statistical purposes. Hence, no triple-double. That's my guess.

By the way, these stunts just to reach a magical "triple-double" really bug me. Remember a few years ago when a coach (I think it was for Detroit or Atlanta) pulled his team off the court when it became clear that Orlando was setting up an inbounds play with about 5 seconds left simply so a Magic player could get the assist he needed for the triple double. If you can't get it legitimately, what's the point of having it? (Are you listening Michael Strahan?)

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Mar 17th, 2003 at 08:12 AM]
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Rule 5 Section 1
e. It is a violation for a player to attempt a field goal at an opponent's basket. The opposing team will be awarded the ball at the free throw line extended.

They did not count the rebound, but did not call the violation on Cleveland.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Whoops! Time to dig out my "other" rulebook and start studying up! (face turning red. . .)

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 10:24am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

By the way, these stunts just to reach a magical "triple-double" really bug me. Remember a few years ago when a coach (I think it was for Detroit or Atlanta) pulled his team off the court when it became clear that Orlando was setting up an inbounds play with about 5 seconds left simply so a Magic player could get the assist he needed for the triple double. If you can't get it legitimately, what's the point of having it? (Are you listening Michael Strahan?)

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Mar 17th, 2003 at 08:12 AM]
I believe it was doug Collins who pulled his team off... it's the same sort of thing UConn did a few years back for the sales kid who had the torn ACL...kinda puts a stink on those records...
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 10:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
[/B]
...kinda puts a stink on those records... [/B][/QUOTE]I agree with Bozo...err Rocky.

Actually,I'm afraid not to agree with him!

http://www.coulrophobia.com
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Davis plays for Cleveland. The Utah players (who obviously know as much about the rules as Davis does--nothing) saw what was happening, and fouled Davis before he could get his "shot attempt" off. Davis was awarded two free throws, as it was not the first foul in the last two minutes of the quarter.

Anthony Bowie was the player for Orlando who called a TO with a second left after a rebound, then assisted on an uncontested layup for the triple double a few years back. And yes, Doug Collins kept his team in front of his bench.

Don't get me started again on the Nykesha Sales fiasco again.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
The Utah players saw what was happening, and fouled Davis before he could get his "shot attempt" off. Davis was awarded two free throws, as it was not the first foul in the last two minutes of the quarter.
So there really was no violation, then, since the foul occured before an illegal attempt could be made?

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the actual game, but saw the replay on SportsZone. Davis took the intentionally missed shot at Utah's basket, got his own rebound, and was headed the other way when Utah fouled him. They didn't foul him to stop him shooting, they fouled him because they felt he was trying to embarass them.

I wonder why they didn't call the violation. Was there a reason? Or did they get caught by surprise and kick it?
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Or did they get caught by surprise and kick it?
That would be my guess b/c I've missed stuff when I got surprised too, but it's just a guess.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 01:07pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
...kinda puts a stink on those records... [/B]
I agree with Bozo...err Rocky.

Actually,I'm afraid not to agree with him!

http://www.coulrophobia.com [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, if only I knew where you lived!!
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 01:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I saw the replay, and my first thought was, "That's a double dribble." Of course, I didn't know it was a violation in the NBA. Question, if he made it, would they count the basket AND call the violation?

Adam
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 01:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
http://www.coulrophobia.com [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, if only I knew where you lived!! [/B][/QUOTE]Gee,just trying to help.I firmly believe that everyone should try and learn two new words every day.

This morning's word was "coulrophobia".

This afternoons' word is "bromidrosis". As in "Poor Chuck is suffering from terminal Bromidrosis!"
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

This afternoons' word is "bromidrosis". As in "Poor Chuck is suffering from terminal Bromidrosis!"
OK...let's see...A..B...BA...BE...BL...BR...ahh here it is:

Main Entry: bro·mi·dro·sis
Pronunciation: "brO-mE-'drO-"sis

Function: noun
: a chronic inability to enjoy anything life has to offer due to being a fan of a team that will never, ever win a World Series again. Ever. Really.

See also: Fenway's disease, Bill Buckner, curse of the Bambino.

Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Snaq,
No, they would not have counted the basket.
It is illegal to INTENTIONALLY score a goal in the other teams basket.
A few years ago, Shandon Anderson (rookie season)
made a half-hearted attempt to score in the other teams basket at the end of the game. Hue Hollins gave him a tongue lashing!
Basically this is the NBA's way to try and prevent point-shaving.