The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Friday, second game.
Howler monkey screams at the top of his lungs something about "THAT'S YOUR CALL!" Of course the play happens opposite of my primary area. Then same Howler monkey is all over my partner about some OOB's play (I guess. I still could never really figure it out) So I tell him to chill out or his day was going to be short. He puts his hand on my shoulder, and since I'm now in a pissy mood, I say "Don't touch me". He calls time out and some fan comes out of the stands to shoot during the TO. He says something about my officaiting ablility as he passes by, so I say " Get off the floor." He says he doesn't have to, to which I reply, "I'm reffing this game which means this is my floor! Get off." He points to two other kids shooting hoops and says, "what about them." Says I, " I don't care about them, they're not acting like idiots!"

So later on during the game, I notice Howler monkey coach complaining to the Site Super. In between the 3rd and 4th,
The Super. comes up to us and first asks what happened with the fan. Then mentions that Howler monkey isn't happy with the officiating, to which I reply, "Dave, they're up by 23!" Of course when they were complaining, they were only up 9!
What disappointed me is that the Super. is the Coach who just won the 5A boys title this year. He shouldn't have even given Howler monkey any consideration. Oh well.

Saturday----
Kid gets a foul call against him. He doesn't like it and proceeds to glare down his opponent until I figure it's gone far enough and I "T" him for taunting.
Kid is basically a whiner throughout the game. His team calls TO in the 4th quarter and as he's going to the bench, he motions as if to hand me the ball. As I start to reach for it, he throw's it away from me. So I tell my partners, "He's mine." If he says anything to either one of you, let me know and I got him" I call a foul on him and he starts to say something, to which I say, "just say one word!" He restrains himself.
Final buzzer goes off and as we're leaving the floor, he passes me and says, "Nice job ref" (dripping with sarcasm) to which I reply, "Nice playing" He then proceeds to Clap LOUDLY and repeatedly, following me to the bench.
I then turn to his Coach, "Coach, I haven't left the floor yet, #4 just got his second "T", he's ejected and also won't play next game!
I love AAU ball!!!!

[Edited by DrakeM on Mar 17th, 2003 at 05:55 AM]
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Final buzzer goes off and as we're leaving the floor, he passes me and says, "Nice job ref" (dripping with sarcasm) to which I reply, "Nice playing" He then proceeds to Clap LOUDLY and repeatedly, following me to the bench.
I then turn to his Coach, "Coach, I haven't left the floor yet, #4 just got his second "T", he's ejected and also won't play next game!
ATTABOY!!
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

...and as he's going to the bench, he motions as if to hand me the ball. As I start to reach for it, he throw's it away from me...
Over the summer I work a few NCAA sanctioned events, lots of kids, lots of college coaches. One game a kid did that to me, just for the heck of it, thought it was cute, who knows. I told him it makes him look bad, not me, and please don't do it again. And then later he does it again! While smiling at me! Son-of-a-b1tch! In the next two minutes he had 3 fouls and a travel called on him. Funny how that works. And the recruiters got to see how good he looks sitting on the end of the bench.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Over the summer I work a few NCAA sanctioned events, lots of kids, lots of college coaches. One game a kid did that to me, just for the heck of it, thought it was cute, who knows. I told him it makes him look bad, not me, and please don't do it again. And then later he does it again! While smiling at me! Son-of-a-b1tch! In the next two minutes he had 3 fouls and a travel called on him. Funny how that works. And the recruiters got to see how good he looks sitting on the end of the bench.
I think being vengeful is exactly the wrong way to handle this. If he does something unsportsmanlike, assess a technical foul. But if you decide it's not unsportsmanlike, then don't look for fouls and violations to call that you wouldn't call otherwise. That's dishonest. Why not call the T when he did it the second time?
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

I think being vengeful is exactly the wrong way to handle this. If he does something unsportsmanlike, assess a technical foul. But if you decide it's not unsportsmanlike, then don't look for fouls and violations to call that you wouldn't call otherwise. That's dishonest. Why not call the T when he did it the second time?
Vengance was not a part of it at all.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

...and as he's going to the bench, he motions as if to hand me the ball. As I start to reach for it, he throw's it away from me...
If a player (or coach) deliberately tosses the ball away from me like that...instant T.

I had a game in which a coach did that. My partner was right by the coach with his hands out and asking for the ball (after and OOB call he made right in front of that bench). Coach held the ball for several seconds then heaved it across the floor in my general direction. Partner T'd him right away. Things didn't get much better and I had the 2nd T not more than 2 minutes later.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Mar 17th, 2003 at 05:46 PM]
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:

If a player (or coach) deliberately tosses the ball away from me like that...instant T.

Well, in my case it was more like a quick flip, not a heave. No one knew but he & I.

[/b]
Quote:

...Partner T'd him right away. Things didn't get much better and I had the 2nd T not more than 2 minutes later. [/B]
Hmmm....I'm even more convinced that I handled my case correctly.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

DM,

Don't want to be too harsh, but I'd have T'd him after the ball incident, especially since he'd spent the entire game being a little punk, AND since he motioned to you like he was going to give the ball to you. No reason you should let him show you up like that.

You let it turn into a pissing match, and it dragged on much longer than it should have, and led to some unavoidably inappropriate conduct at the end of the game.

In the end, the kid got what he deserved, but you could have cut it off at the knees and saved yourself a lot of grief.

We're supposed to be bigger than that. But I sympathize with what you had to put up with.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 03:52am
Official Forum Member

Canuck,

Thanks. I appreciate your differing opinion.
I think the reason I didn't whack him after the ball incident is that it caught me by surprise and it would have been harder to explain a "T" there, than the "T" I finally ended up giving him. Right in front of the bench, with everyone looking on.
I really don't feel it got into a pissing match, and would gladly have moved on had he just played, and not tried to be a jerk.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Don't you just LOOOOOVE players like that?