The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 05, 2000, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

O K i know that if the defensive team (Team B) puts the ball into Team A basket you stop the clock count the basket and give the ball to (Team B) OOB.

But what if Team B scores a basket and A1 inbounds to A2, and A2 throws a long pass to A3 down court.
The ball hits between the half court and the 3-point line and goes in.

Its not a shoot attempt but it went in do we count it or not? Is it a 2 or a 3-pointer?

------------------

Allways trying to get better!
Old Tue Sep 05, 2000, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Even if it were a try to start rather than a pass, a try ends when the ball touches the floor. Since 3-point can only be scored on a try, it can only be 2 points. Futhermore, a foul or expiration of playing time occuring before the ball is in the basket causes a dead ball. There is no delayed dead ball becasue it is not a try.

[This message has been edited by Camron Rust (edited September 06, 2000).]
Old Tue Sep 05, 2000, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

"O K i know that if the defensive team (Team B) puts the ball into Team A basket you stop the clock count the basket and give the ball to (Team B) OOB."

Why would you stop the clock?

"But what if Team B scores a basket and A1 inbounds to A2, and A2 throws a long pass to A3 down court.
The ball hits between the half court and the 3-point line and goes in.

Its not a shoot attempt but it went in do we count it or not? Is it a 2 or a 3-pointer?"

Cameron is correct. If it was an attempt, the attempt ended when the ball touched the floor. If it wasn't an attempt, and it wasn't, it can't be a 3. 2 points!

Let me stir the debate! What if the pass from A2 to A3 went into the basket in the air? Is that a 2 or a 3?
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 01:46am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef:
"
Why would you stop the clock?

>>>As we all know, you wouldn't.

Let me stir the debate! What if the pass from A2 to A3 went into the basket in the air? Is that a 2 or a 3?

>>>This has been fully discussed previously. The concensus was that you would count the 3 because it is too hard to judge intent in this case. In theory, if it is a pass, it's a two, if it's a shot, it's a three. It becomes a harder call on an alley-oop.

Remember, in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice - but in practice, there is.

Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
>Remember, in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice - but in practice, there is. ????

Is this a Davism or did you run across a new philosophy professor?
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 11:46am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden:
>Remember, in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice - but in practice, there is. ????

Is this a Davism or did you run across a new philosophy professor?

Actually, I saw it on uselessknowledge.com. I have to have something to do at work.

Speaking of Davisms - Dave's favorite quote is also one of mine: "Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals - except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

[This message has been edited by Mark Padgett (edited September 06, 2000).]
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett:
>>>This has been fully discussed previously. The concensus was that you would count the 3 because it is too hard to judge intent in this case. In theory, if it is a pass, it's a two, if it's a shot, it's a three. It becomes a harder call on an alley-oop.

Remember, in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice - but in practice, there is.

I'm glad to see that this board has come to this consensus. I saw where it had been discussed in a previous post. We discussed this last season on the McGriff board and a lot of people were very adamant that it should be a 2. I'm glad common sense has prevailed here!
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 11:25pm
In Memoriam

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef:
I'm glad to see that this board has come to this consensus. I saw where it had been discussed in a previous post. We discussed this last season on the McGriff board and a lot of people were very adamant that it should be a 2. I'm glad common sense has prevailed here!

That pass/shot only counts if he called it. yo?
mick

Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 11:25pm
In Memoriam

Cool

Just an OOOOps!

[This message has been edited by mick (edited September 06, 2000).]
Old Sat Sep 09, 2000, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

A basket by a team in their opponents basket can never be a three, since a shot or pass that goes in the opponents basket is not a try.
Old Sat Sep 09, 2000, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

A shot or pass by a team that goes into their opponents basket can never be a three pointer because an attempt at the incorrect basket is not, by definition, a try.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2000, 04:54pm
PDLeBoutillier

quote:
Originally posted by jweiler:
A shot or pass by a team that goes into their opponents basket can never be a three pointer because an attempt at the incorrect basket is not, by definition, a try.

Not to mention that a team doesn't have a three point line in their backcourt.

Paul