The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
In another C-USA game yesterday, about 40 seconds left in the first half. Ball goes OOB in team A's frontcourt. Throw-in on the endline, 2 seconds left on shot clock. A1 inbounds to A2, who makes a quick move and releases a long 3-point attempt as the shot clock horn sounds. Ball enters the basket.

Coach A, thinking that the shot clock horn was the game clock horn, runs onto the court -- thinking the half is over. There are no players in his vicinity, but he is at least 5 running steps onto the court. Officals assess a technical foul.

Didn't we just have this conversation and decide that there was a ruling that if no delay was caused that there should be no technical foul called? I'm not sure which game this was. I'll have to watch SportsCenter again to catch the teams that were playing.

Any thoughts on the T?

Chuck
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

If it's an honest mistake and there is no big delay, I would try to pass on it. That said, if he is trying to get his little stabs in before going to the lockerroom and bites me in the butt, then it is quite another story.

Blackhawk
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

This was the DePaul/South Florida game and the South Florida coach "earned" the T.

Chuck
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

If Seth Greenberg (is he still there?) can't take the fraction of a second to actually look at the shot/game clock, he's only got himself to blame. I'm okay with the officials dinging him.

Of course, I still applaud Bert Smith for not dinging Mike Davis earlier this year for being on the court.

This, to me, is a situation where whatever the official does, he's right.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

No I would not T the coach. He would probably feel silly running out on court realizing game not yet over; might even see it in a humorous way and just get the coach to quickly get back into his teambench area. No fuss, no call.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

How about the T on the home crowd near the end of the Weber State/E. Washington game?
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

I didn't see that one. What happened?
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Weber State was up 3 with about 10 seconds to go, and was going to the line. Somebody threw something onto the court from the Weber State fan section, and the officials dinged them, giving two free throws to Eastern Washington. The fans had been warned by public address announcement not only once before in that game, but also the day before during the semifinals for throwing objects onto the floor.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
The fans had been warned by public address announcement not only once before in that game, but also the day before during the semifinals for throwing objects onto the floor.
Hard to argue with that but it sure is tough on the team.

You can't control every knucklhead in the arena.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
The fans had been warned by public address announcement not only once before in that game, but also the day before during the semifinals for throwing objects onto the floor.
Hard to argue with that but it sure is tough on the team.

You can't control every knucklhead in the arena.
But I'm betting that created a boat-load of "positive peer pressure" from the fans surrounding the bozo who threw it!