The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Help!!!

I need to decide an argument and I would love to know how the following situation is typically called in organized basketball.

There is a guy I play against that constantly head fakes and ball fakes before going up for a jump shot...

Sometimes I get faked out and jump way too early...and this particular instance he doesn't go up for the shot but instead kind of just stays there...I of course have some momentum going forward and try to twist around midair and sometimes hit into him...

I insist that this is simply "just a foul", but others call it flagrant or intentional on my part.

Under any circumstances can contact such as this (being drawn into the air by a good fake) be considered flagrant or intentional?...any rule quotes you guys can give me?

Thanks!...Jeff
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Ball/Head Fake - Help!!!

The foul you described is not a flagerent or intentional foul. It is only a foul on the defender when the "verticality principle" is broken. That is, the defender no longer is going straight up & as a result comes into contact with an offensive player.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It depends on the contact that you cause on your way down. If you are trying to avoid him but make "normal" contact, then it's just a personal foul. If you instead fall and bearhug him to prevent him from shooting, then that could be considered intentional. The same could be said if you caused excessive contact, even if you didn't mean to hit him quite that hard.

Chuck
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Agreed! This is a simple personal foul. In no way should this ever be considered intentional or flagrant. Also remember that the penalty for an intentional foul is 2 shots and possession. The penalty for a flagrant foul is the same plus the player is disqualified and must leave the game immediately. Also, in my area, players disqualified for flagrant fouls or 2 technical fouls are suspended for the next game. 2 such episodes and the player is suspended for the remainder of the season.