The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 10:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Hard to believe that three officials all good enough to work the state tournament could get this wrong, but I understand the logic. We had a game this season, late in OT, we are up by 6 or so. The opponents' have the ball, and the official thinks he hears the opponents' coach request a timeout, so he blows whistle. As he looks at the opponents' coach, it's clear that he wasn't requesting timeout. So the official says "inadvertant whistle", and something in my brain clicks and I start yelling that they should go to the arrow! After I thought about it, I knew I was wrong, but there was definitely some thought in my head that equated inadverant whistle to alternating possession.
Officiating. Where you're expected to be perfect at the opening tip and only improve from there.

Rich
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Hard to believe that three officials all good enough to work the state tournament could get this wrong.
Only two officials per game in Washington State high school games. I worked the girls side of the 3A tourney... and every official I saw (girls and boys) was pretty darn good. Even the good ones have a brain cramp now and then.

Z