The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 01:01pm
We don't rent pigs

In light of recent events, I would have to say the most generous, reasonable, and fair man in the world of basketball today is.....................Bob Knight.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Only because he already had 600,000 bananas and thought another 250,000 would spoil before he got around to them.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 01:14pm
We don't rent pigs

I should have such problems.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Knight is obviously not #1 on any officials' list of good guys, and he definitely has anger management problems. But I also don't think he gets enough credit for the things he's accomplished, and what he's capable of.

John Feinstein described Knight as "a flawed man, but a good man" in that book he wrote. I think that's pretty accurate.

It floors me that in general, Knight is seen in such a negative light, and someone like Jim Valvano (with all due respect) is seen as a folk hero.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
With all due respect -- which is exactly none -- Knight is a jerk and a bully. If that makes him a good guy, then I've lost touch with reality. His "gesture" is basically to embarrass his team. Much like Steinbrenner's infamous apology for the Yankees' lack of success years ago.

What's the knock on Valvano? Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention back in the 80's, but I don't remember ever hearing about abuse in the NC State program.

Chuck
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't Valvano still at NCSU when Chris Washburn and Charles Shackleford got involved in all of those problems? I thought NCSU went on probation because of that...
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 01:34pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
His "gesture" is basically to embarrass his team.
I was kinda thinking along the same lines. If one wanted to make an effort to give a more favorable slant one could say it was to inspire his team. Still, it is not every day that anyone makes a quarter million dollar "gesture."

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 01:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Sounds like a good guy to me.

He gave the money back and told the University to use the money for whatever he wanted them to. The school accepted. Why does that have to be to embarrass his team? He is paid to do a job and he did not want to accept money that he felt that he did not earn. Sounds to me like a good person. Especially that none of us here have had personal contact with him (Cough, Chuck). And I have said this before. I have seen several Big Ten Officials speak and call Knight one of the fairest coaches around and would love to send their son to play for him. And all this was said after he left Indiana.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

I don't deny that Knight has a very dark and ugly side, one that shows up too often ("jerk and bully" is a good way to put it). But I also believe he's done some good things, and if I had to send my kid to play for him or Valvano, I'd choose him.

Valvano, on the other hand, had a hand in much worse things during his tenure at NC State, but because he was a media darling, and was careful not to show his ugly side in public, managed to gain hero status despite the terrible things going on in his program. I will say that Valvano's battle with cancer was heroic, and I respect the way he used his fight to inspire others.

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Mar 11th, 2003 at 01:00 PM]
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Let's refocus

All this talk about Knight and Valvano, seems to me that if we're going to broach the ethics discussion maybe Mr. Harrick and Jr. should be the topic.

Just trying to stir the pot a bit

Blackhawk
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

canuckrefguy,

This is no different than anything else with the media. You are not considered a great guy when you treat the media in a certain way. If you cut them short or do not interview with them, you are a bad guy. But when you put your ugly mug in front of the camera often, you are a wonderful guy. And this has become more apparant with these TV shows that have "Sports Writers" on TV. You see they do not like certain individuals because of what personal experiences they have with them. Jim Harrick is a very accomidating coach and gives several interviews, but his programs are riddled with scandal and lies and cheating. I do not see this a Knight's programs. Barry Bonds is probably one of the two or three greatest baseball players to ever live, but many sports writers do not want to give him his due because he does not interview with them. Just more of the same.

Peace