The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 04, 2000, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Can anyone tell me the best type of job that would allow you to have the time to officiate college basketball? What kinds of jobs do those of you who call college basketball
have? Thanks !!!

Buck
Old Mon Sep 04, 2000, 09:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

Probably sales of some kind. If you look at what most guys and gals do as jobs, they have sales jobs. Teaching also can be a help. Think about it, if you are in sales, your job is based on preformance (most of the time). You also have more influence over your schedule and probably does not have to punch a clock. This is the same at the HS level, but does anyone else have something else to add.

quote:
Originally posted by Buck Wu:
Can anyone tell me the best type of job that would allow you to have the time to officiate college basketball? What kinds of jobs do those of you who call college basketball
have? Thanks !!!

Buck

Old Mon Sep 04, 2000, 09:59pm
In Memoriam

Cool

quote:
have? Thanks !!!

Buck

Buck,
Self-employment with good employees working for you, or a long time job with lots of seniority and vacation, or flex time, available.
Oh, yeah, it also helps to have a very interested, in basketball, significant other.
And, a job that is within a hundred miles of many universities.
mick

[This message has been edited by mick (edited September 04, 2000).]
Old Tue Sep 05, 2000, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
The two guy's at camp in which I actually caught what there professions were. 1) Real Estate agent. 2)Athletic Director for a 5A high school. I do remember meeting one who was a teacher in Albequerque.

But what we were told at camp was that you need to be so successful at your job that they don't care how much time you need to take off to do basketball officiating. A basketball official needs to be more successful at his job then anyone else. You can't be losing your job just because of basketball. In pro football, they actually investigate your job situation before they hire you. I would hope the NCAA does something similar before hiring you to do Division 1 where you will be flying across the country on a weeknight to call a game.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2000, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Any job that gives you a flexible schedule. My job is logistics for a national mfg firm which allows me to set my own schedule. I have a good staff that covers for me from Nov-March and I do likewise the rest of the year. Majority of my partners are in sales and teaching. Several are pilots for USAir.
Before you attempt the giant step make sure that everything else (job, family) are in good shape.

------------------
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I'm no where near being ready for college officiating yet, except in one regard: I have the perfect job. My employment gives me flexibility, a self-managed schedule, autonomy and long-term freedom. What do I do? I'm a housewife!
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I don't know Rainmaker. If you were to listen to my housewife spouse, you would believe that there is not enough hours in the day to squeeze in officiating. Just an opinon. Glad you can join us.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 05:36pm
In Memoriam

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker:
I'm no where near being ready for college officiating yet, except in one regard: I have the perfect job. My employment gives me flexibility, a self-managed schedule, autonomy and long-term freedom. What do I do? I'm a housewife!

rainmaker
Good one!
But, I bet, you don't have a good replacement that can do your job.
mick
Old Wed Sep 06, 2000, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Tim,

Thanks for your advice. I am a young official who has high aspirations of making it to the college ranks in my due time. I love calling basketball and I just want to try to put myself in a carreer that will allow me to call college basketball. Thank you very much for guidance.

Buck
Old Sun Sep 10, 2000, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Tim,

Thanks for your advice. I am a young official who has high aspirations of making it to the college ranks in my due time. I love calling basketball and I just want to try to put myself in a carreer that will allow me to call college basketball. Thank you very much for guidance.

Buck

Just remember what are the most important things in your life. Officiating is the greatest part-time job there is, but remember that the season is only 5-6 months and you'll have to survive 12 months. Only NBA ref make it a full time job. Best of luck and never stop working on your game.

keep smiling
SH