The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

I think that if I were to pick one area where I am the weakest (besides EVERYTHING! ), it would be knowing where to be and what to watch for on rebounds. Especially when I'm the lead.

As trail, I've started to get the hang of taking a step towards the basket, and watching for stuff on the weak side. But when I'm lead, I tend to get overwhelmed with so much happening right in front of me.

What is the best position for the lead when the bodies start banging? What specifically am I watching for? What am I NOT watching for? I understand that displacement is one key element. What about a player having "position"... what role does that play in rebounding fouls? What does it mean to have position on a rebound? Knowing that I can't possibly see everything, what is it that I HAVE to see and call?
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

If it seems like you are overwhelmed from everything happening right in front of you...maybe take a step or too away from the basket. Perhaps you are too close to get a good look.

What I look for...who starts in the best spot to catch the rebound. They are the player that I key on. Whoever comes into their space is at risk for a foul no matter who is in front/back.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Stay Wide

Stay wide to the side and you'll get a better angle. It opens up your persepective and you can see much more of the whole play. Remember, your partner should have all the opposite side action, so just concentrate on the stuff on your side.

Mregor