The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Big South Conference Semi's. Lead and C (i believe) have the double whistle with double premliminaries. Result: Double Foul we go to possession. Game goes into overtime. I am sure you all saw the highlights on ESPN. I was standing baseline in a suit!!) Happens at all levels!
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
I am sure you all saw the highlights on ESPN. I was standing baseline in a suit...
So...

...what you're saying is...

...you're a blarge!?

...and we could have sighted you on ESPN, if we'd known what to look for?!?
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I saw one, too. Boys 3A Regional semifinal game, game after mine. L called block, C called PC. They went with the PC.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I am sure you all saw the highlights on ESPN. I was standing baseline in a suit...
So...

...what you're saying is...

...you're a blarge!?

...and we could have sighted you on ESPN, if we'd known what to look for?!?
I am an official I have been called worse!! I had never seen the Blarge call at the D1 level, maybe I live a sheltered life. I was suprised that after the meeting, the primary was not allowed to go with the call. It seemed a sore subject in the locker room so I did not bring it up.
BTW, I was wearing a black suit.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 11:27am
Esteemed Participant

I believe the NCAA Men's interp is that in a situation like this, they have to call the double foul since both officials gave a signal...NCAA Women's, you get together, decide whose primary it was in, and they take the call... I take it you were in the locker room with the officials? What was the gist of their conversation about it???
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Well, they were both veterans, one did the UNC/Duke game on Sunday, the other does NBDL and ACC. They were both ticked that they did something like that , but they did not know anyway out of it. I am not sure they were upset with each other, but upset that they both sold their respective calls with prelims. I do not know the NCAA men's D1 rule on this. To me I like the idea of huddling and coming out with the call.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
I do not know the NCAA men's D1 rule on this. To me I like the idea of huddling and coming out with the call.
Here's the NCAA rule approved ruling that talks about this. It appears right after Rule 6, Section 3, Article 1:

A.R. 4. (Men) A1 drives to the basket and (a) the referee calls a player-control foul and an umpire calls a block or; (b) the referee calls a charge and an umpire calls a block. RULING: This is uncharacteristic of a double personal foul where one official adjudicates the obviously committed fouls against two opponents. In (a) and (b) the two officials disagree that the fouls occurred simultaneously. In (a) the alternating possession
arrow shall be used and the ball shall be awarded at the designated spot nearest to where the foul occurred. When the ball is awarded to either Team A or Team B, there shall be a reset of the shot clock. To award the ball to Team A with the expired time instead of using the alternating-possession arrow would be unfair, since one of the fouls in question may have been committed when A1 was in control of the ball. In (b) although the two officials disagree as to whether there was a charge or a block, the ball was released by A1. During a try in flight there is no team control. The alternating-possession arrow shall be used and the ball shall be awarded at the designated spot nearest to where the foul occurred. Since there is no team control, there shall be a reset of the shot clock when the ball is awarded to either Team A or Team B.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me I like the idea of huddling and coming out with the call.
Can't do it. In NFHS and NCAA Men's, it's a double foul. I can't imagine how the NCAA Women's can get away with picking one or the other.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

it is a double foul by rule!!!! but I think the women have tried to get it right!!! Kudos for them