The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   We Have Lost One of Our Own. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/78399-we-have-lost-one-our-own.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Aug 16, 2011 04:50pm

We Have Lost One of Our Own.

I just read this on SportingNews.com:

Former NBA, college referee Troy Raymond dead of apparent suicide - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News

MTD, Sr.

tomegun Tue Aug 16, 2011 05:15pm

Any loss of life is sad. I just got off the phone from talking to someone very close to him; the entire situation is kind of disturbing along with being very sad. My heart goes out most to his wife's family and his family. They are undoubtedly going through some tough times.

JRutledge Wed Aug 17, 2011 01:14am

http://images1.statsheet.com/images/...jpg?1313283879

Here is his picture. I am wondering if he was a Dale Kelley's camp when I was there a few times. This is too sad.

Peace

Nevadaref Wed Aug 17, 2011 04:44am

"Troy Raymond worked only one season of NBA games but was fired in 2004 for lying on his resume. He worked 17 college basketball games last season."

=============================================
The above is sad on its own.
I guess some people are so intent on getting into the NBA that they resort to such methods. He was obviously good enough to officiate at that level, but unfortunately he cost himself a chance to stay because he compromised his integrity. I'm shocked that any college assignor would hire him after that.
First and foremost officiating is about integrity. The coaches, players, and your partners have to have trust in you or it simply doesn't work.
Now we have a truly tragic end to this individual.

jeschmit Wed Aug 17, 2011 05:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 781435)
"Troy Raymond worked only one season of NBA games but was fired in 2004 for lying on his resume. He worked 17 college basketball games last season."

"Raymond spent a year in the NBA, but was forced out in 2004 after he was caught lying on his résumé for the referee's media guide. He had written that he attended the University of Colorado and played on the school's national champion football team, according to a 2007 story in the Wall Street Journal, and numerous sources also said he falsified that he was a pilot in the Air Force."

Why would you need/want to lie about this?

Raymond Wed Aug 17, 2011 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 781451)
"Raymond spent a year in the NBA, but was forced out in 2004 after he was caught lying on his résumé for the referee's media guide. He had written that he attended the University of Colorado and played on the school's national champion football team, according to a 2007 story in the Wall Street Journal, and numerous sources also said he falsified that he was a pilot in the Air Force."

Who can explain the human psyche'? We've had college football coaches and politicians who have done the same thing over "facts" that have nothing to do with their aspirations.

Camron Rust Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeschmit (Post 781451)

There are some people who are so insecure that they feel they need to continuously make up accomplishments.

I once worked with a guy who, according to his own statements, had done just about everything that was possible for a human to have done...most of which which were quite unbelievable if you knew him at all. It included things like being a green beret, a military pilot, and numerous other things that just didn't make sense and there was a new thing every time you talked to him. But, it didn't stop him from claiming he'd done it. Ultimate he got fired from his job, partly because he claim on his review that he'd done things that others had done.

Tim C Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:19pm

Wow

Somehow I am not surprised some one would post about a murderer and a coward on this site.

T

APG Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 781625)
Somehow I am not surprised some one would post about a murderer and a coward on this site.

T

:confused:

JRutledge Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 781628)

I am with you there.

Peace

Scrapper1 Thu Aug 18, 2011 07:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 781628)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 781646)
I am with you there.

I was confused as well.

While I don't like Tim C's "style" in just throwing the word 'murderer' out there, a quick search turned up the following:

Quote:

A former NBA referee shot and killed himself in a suburban New Orleans hotel room on the same day his wife was found strangled at their Houston-area home last week, authorities said Wednesday.

A law-enforcement official in Montgomery County, Texas, said Troy Raymond, 46, was a "person of interest" in the death of his wife, Leslie Anderson Raymond, whose body was discovered last Thursday at their home in Spring.
Ex-NBA referee Troy Raymond kills self on day wife's body found - ESPN

Raymond Thu Aug 18, 2011 07:45am

Quote:

T

Should we ignored that it happened? Don't see your point.

26 Year Gap Thu Aug 18, 2011 08:48am

I suspect the original post had been made before the other circumstances surrounding him came to light. Let's reserve judgment for the Judge, shall we?

Adam Thu Aug 18, 2011 09:46am

Quote:

T

Oh and wow.

mbyron Thu Aug 18, 2011 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 781770)
Oh and wow.

Well, Tee is certainly terse and blunt. But the deceased certainly does not seem to have been one of the good guys in officiating. (And why is it still unseemly to "speak ill of the dead"?)