The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Having grown up in Indiana, I can only recall the good ole days when we had a one class system. Also, teams were not seeded, they were selected like a lottery. I can remember sitting in front of the TV to see who we drew. It was awesome!! I am so glad that they went to four classes to increase revenue and are losing money hand over fist. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! We usually ended up playing a school 3 or 4x's larger then we were, but it was a great experience. I hope they go back to one class.
On a side bar, I do like the Illinois 2 class system. When I lived in the Chicago area it was nice to see the "Small School" and "Big School" champions, They have done a good job keeping each unique.
I will step down from my soap box.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 02:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Having grown up in Indiana, I can only recall the good ole days when we had a one class system. Also, teams were not seeded, they were selected like a lottery. I can remember sitting in front of the TV to see who we drew. It was awesome!! I am so glad that they went to four classes to increase revenue and are losing money hand over fist. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! We usually ended up playing a school 3 or 4x's larger then we were, but it was a great experience. I hope they go back to one class.
On a side bar, I do like the Illinois 2 class system. When I lived in the Chicago area it was nice to see the "Small School" and "Big School" champions, They have done a good job keeping each unique.
I will step down from my soap box.
The thing I love about the 2 Class system, is when you win a State Championship, you really win a State Championship. Everyone gets to be in the playoffs. Everyone has a change to advance and move on. That is why it is called "America's Original March Madness."

Peace
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Here in Louisiana the classes are C, B, 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, with 5A, of course being the largest.
Out of personal curiosity do you have any idea the number of students needed per school to make a 5A, 4A, and 3A designation? I graduated from a New Orleans high school back in the ‘60s. We were a 3A school which was the largest size class in the state at that time. We had only a little over 700 students in 3 grades.

After college I moved to Northern Virginia and was flabbergasted at the size of the schools around here. It is nothing to see 1600 to 2500 students in a 4 year high school. All are 3A schools which is VAs largest class. To answer your question; at some point it really makes no difference when you are talking about so many students to draw from. The difference between winning or loosing comes down to the bounce of the ball or who is hurt on any given day.
RecRef: Not only are we in the same association, I see that we grew up close to each other (I'm from Mississippi). Went to HS at FCAHS in Brooklyn -- near Wiggins) and attended USM, class of '70.
Old Tue Mar 11, 2003, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
Here's the LHSAA breakdown based on school enrollment:

5A=1103 and up
1103? Eleven hundred. . .and three? I'm just curious how that particular figure was reached. Why in the world wouldn't you just make the cut-off 1,100? I realize that any cutoff is fairly arbitrary. Somebody could say, why not make it 1,097? It just seems that a round number is more convenient unless there's some specific reason to use a "non-round" number. Is there any known rationale for using 1,103 as the cut-off point? Just curious.

Chuck
It's a Southern thing Chuck. You Yankees wouldn't understand.
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
It's a Southern thing Chuck. You Yankees wouldn't understand.
Kinda like chitlins?
Old Wed Mar 12, 2003, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
[ [/B]
RecRef: Not only are we in the same association, I see that we grew up close to each other (I'm from Mississippi). Went to HS at FCAHS in Brooklyn -- near Wiggins) and attended USM, class of '70.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Southern brain drain... We gets education and head north.

Going to the meeting on the 24th? Look for the guy with the red Miami University baseball cap.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'll be there. Returning from CA on 3/21 -- last trip.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NWRef
In Idaho

A-5 1250+
A-4 800-1249
A-3 350-799
A-2 150-349
A-1 149 and below (Largest Number of Schools is in this div)
When did Idaho go to A5 being the largest? When I taught school there back in 1979-80, right out of college, the system was reversed, I believe. A1 was the largest classification on "down" to A4 being the smaller school classification. I always thought Idaho had it backwards from the rest of the country.

RD
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

It switched with the beginning of the 2002-2003 season.

They were using A-1 Div 1 for football for 1500+ and A-1 Div 2 from 800-1499 and a different classification for basketball. That wouldn't be confusing would it?