The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Kansas/Missouri game today...Kansas player grabs rebound from behind in the last minute, kicks it out to teammate who nails a three-pointer.

Clark Kellogg's comments on CBS:

"(A1) went over the back on (B1) to grab the rebound...and just because you go over someone's back does not mean you commit a foul"
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah but on the Duke NC game today the commentators were calling for an over the back--Oh well all we can do is keep stressing the proper points
Old Sun Mar 09, 2003, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I heard that one too. I like Billy Packer, but he does talk out of his a** sometimes.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Watched both the games, and noticed C. Kellog's statement as well. A great comparison between CBS's top two broadcast teams. One guy seems to understand what's going on the other just likes to hear his own voice.

I just hope and pray Bill Walton will be too busy doing the NBA on ESPN to work any of the NCAA's on CBS.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Kansas/Missouri game today...Kansas player grabs rebound from behind in the last minute, kicks it out to teammate who nails a three-pointer.

Clark Kellogg's comments on CBS:

"(A1) went over the back on (B1) to grab the rebound...and just because you go over someone's back does not mean you commit a foul"
In last night's Maryland UVa game, the commentator mentioned how one of the UVA players "just went up over his back and got the ball." He then went on to say something about when you're that big it's not too hard to go over a guard who finds himself low in the paint. Never said "over the back" was not a foul, but he did comment on the fact that it had been a good play without a foul.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 03:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Some of you may be too young to remember this , but years ago, Turner had an announcing team of Don Criqui and Rick Barry. Barry easily was the best commentator I ever heard. He was supportive of smart plays and unmerciful of dumb ones. He gave a real in-depth analysis of each team's strengths and weaknesses and made an incredible amount of sense.

They let him go because he was "too technical". There was some merit in that. To really appreciate his comments, you had to have pretty good knowledge of the intricacies of the game. The "average fan" was in way over his head.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I was at a State Playoff game the other day. A-4 division 2-whistle crew. Rebounding action and lead blows his whistle. Preliminary call to partner says push.

When he reports to the table he gives color, number of offending party and the cursory "Kilroy was here" hands over the top of the fence as he announces "Over the Back"............Ouch !!!