The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but I've had several people from work ask me about the play. What I saw on Sportscenter was a count started when the ball was at the player's disposal and the official got a 5 count. Then John Anderson (SC) made a comment that the official "took it back." What happened and can someone explain why, if this is the case, the center official had ANY input on the play anyway. That was the only senario I could come up with for changing the call.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I watched the game, and the official involved is a friend of mine, the reason that I gathered that 5 second call was taken back, was because the ball in the other official's judgement is was not yet completely at the player's disposal. Please be advised that is my opinion and view point of the call, I have not talked to my friend who worked the game.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

That was my take as well. But my question is why should that be his concern. Shouldn't he be focused on the screens on the floor. Just my opinion, I just saw what was on Sportscenter, and half of the time they're not sure what happened.

A friend of yours? Who was he? Just curious.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

In college mechanics, the inbounding official primary responsibility is the inbounding player, and then any other action that will be immediately in front of him. However, the center official is also helping the inbounding official as well with the illegal screens.
As for my friend's name, I would like to refrain from mentioning his name, due to any other comments, questions, or concerns about the particular call.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
As for my friend's name, I would like to refrain from mentioning his name
Good call, John I'd do the same.

Chuck
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

The officials for the game were Jim Burr, Mike Sanzere, and Rick Hartzell. IIRC, Hartzell blew the whistle for 5 seconds, and Sanzere overturned it. I think the reason was because the ball was accidentally kicked by an Indiana player, thus the count should not have started, because the ball was not at the disposal of a Minnesota player.

Hartzell missed the first four minutes of the game as well, and Sanzere and Burr ran a 2-man crew. I'm not sure if he had travel problems or what.

All three of these guys are final four officials, but I think they'd tell you that this particular game wasn't their best collaborative effort. That said, I'd be more than happy if any one of these three guys walked into my gym to officiate a game.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

I heard the one official, apparently Hartzell, was late because of travel problems. I heard he miss calculated the driving distance, time or something to that nature. He's from St. Louis? That's what someone said the TV announcers said. As for your comment on you friend's discretion, I totally agree with you. I was just curious if they were a regular Big 10 official. No big deal.

That makes sense the slot official catching that "kicked" ball. I just wondered why he would overrule that. Thanks for the explaination considering I didn't get to watch the game. That always happens to me. I don't watch a game, and something somewhat controversial happens and I have to resort to the Sportscenter announcers for the info.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence Chuck. I have a couple of friends that are mens Big Ten officials, and womens Big Ten officials, and my supervisors have told us to refrain from releasing names of officials that work particular games with things that happened during the game. You just never know where the conference maybe with handleing a particular situation, and you also want to respect an official's privacy after a tough night on the floor. As for the three officials that worked the game, they are regular staff Big Ten officials.
I have to agree with the post earlier on this topic, all three officials would tell you that it was not there best night at the officiating office, however all three of did take care of business down the stretch of this particular game.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2003, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I know it's a big boo-boo, but you've got to feel for the guy that had the travel snafu, you know he is not getting a lot of sleep after that one
Old Fri Mar 07, 2003, 10:43am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
What the heck happens to an official that is late for a D1 game? I am sure the assignor doesn't care what the excuse is, baring it being death in the family or something comparable.