The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Compression shorts? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7791-compression-shorts.html)

Back In The Saddle Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:49am

Looking at various officials gear web sites, I keep seeing compression shorts and compression shirts. What are these? And under what circumstances would I want to wear them?

BktBallRef Thu Mar 06, 2003 01:46am

Dude, where did you say you lived? ;)

Compression shorts and shirts are made of lycra, much like bicycle shorts. They keep the moisture away from your body, which prevents the skin from becoming irritated or chafed. Cotton undershirts and shorts absorb perspiration right against your body.

Come out of the Dark Ages, partner! :D

JRutledge Thu Mar 06, 2003 02:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef

Come out of the Dark Ages, partner! :D

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk...DarthVader.gif

"Luke, I am your faaattheerr."

Peace

dblref Thu Mar 06, 2003 06:33am

They also work quite well for keeping your shirt tucked in and come in really handy when (or if) your pants split. That's assuming you have the black compression shorts.

Nevadaref Thu Mar 06, 2003 07:49am

These items are for old, fat people who need them to support their blubber. :D
Those who are young and strong don't need to compress anything on their bodies in order to work a basketball game.

mick Thu Mar 06, 2003 08:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Those who are young and strong don't need to compress anything on their bodies in order to work a basketball game.

Well, most of my partners (40-50 yrs-old)wear the black compression pants (waist to ankle), but don't need 'em for support.
I have tried compression shorts, but I over-heat and absolutely do not like 'em.
mick

RecRef Thu Mar 06, 2003 09:10am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
[B]
Quote:

Well, most of my partners (40-50 yrs-old)wear the black compression pants (waist to ankle), but don't need 'em for support.
I have tried compression shorts, but I over-heat and absolutely do not like 'em.
mick

Ah Hmm, being one of these old guys, I’ll be 55 in a few days, a good pair of tight compression shorts can help keep you from suffering leg problems. May be only a coincidence but my last game this year was Feb. 11. I forgot to pack a pair of shorts in my bag. Midway through the 3rd quarter I suffered what is commonly, but incorrectly, called a groin pull. Hopefully I be back on the court by the end of this month.

ChuckElias Thu Mar 06, 2003 09:31am

Quote:

Well, I've been wearing the compression shorts during my basketball games since I was 28. I don't think that qualifies me as old. And I've never had blubber.

Quote:

I don't need to compress anything, but I do like the fact that it keeps my shirt tucked in. I also like the feeling of having everything "secured", but don't particularly like wearing a jock. I've worked with guys who wear only boxers under their uniform pants. I don't know how they can do it.

Chuck

Jurassic Referee Thu Mar 06, 2003 09:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
I've worked with guys who wear only boxers under their uniform pants. I don't know how they can do it.
[/B][/QUOTE]I only did that once,and I ended up with a fractured kneecap. I never,ever did it again.

Mregor Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:27am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I've worked with guys who wear only boxers under their uniform pants. I don't know how they can do it.
[/B]
I only did that once,and I ended up with a fractured kneecap. I never,ever did it again. [/B][/QUOTE]

Now that is funny! I'm sure we'll see several gif's on that image.

Mregor

RecRef Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by Mregor
Quote:

Quote:

I only did that once,and I ended up with a fractured kneecap. I never,ever did it again. [/B]
Now that is funny! I'm sure we'll see several gif's on that image.

Mregor [/B][/QUOTE]

I hope NOT!

Dan_ref Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:35am

Quote:

Quote:

[/B]
I only did that once,and I ended up with a fractured kneecap. I never,ever did it again. [/B][/QUOTE]

Wait, wait, wait, let's back this up a bit....how did that happen?

Jurassic Referee Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Wait, wait, wait, let's back this up a bit....how did that happen? [/B][/QUOTE]I think that we'll let this one go.

And I did!

fletch_irwin_m Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:21am

Quote:

I would say that there are some of us who need to make sure things are "properly secured" and/or "compressed" and it is not blubber. Hey if we don't we might break a kneecap!

Jurassic Referee Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:29am

Quote:

Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Quote:

I would say that there are some of us who need to make sure things are "properly secured" and/or "compressed" and it is not blubber. Hey if we don't we might break a kneecap!

Obviously young,strong Nevada doesn't have that worry! :D