The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Went to a regional semifinal to watch a friend ref. Sitting high up in the stands I noticed something strange about the court.

On both ends of the court, the 3-point ark does not intersect the top of the key properly. If you were to continue the ark itself it would run along the inside of the top of the key. Even more than that, the arks were offset a little. It looked like if you measured them, the bench sides would have a slightly greater area. After the game I went to the other side’s stands and sat in the same general area in them as I did during the game. Bench side still looked larger so it was not an optical elusion. On the court you really can’t tell this unless you know what you are looking for.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Bench side still looked larger so it was not an optical elusion. On the court you really can’t tell this unless you know what you are looking for.
It may still be an optical illusion, although I'm not sure how. You probably should get out the tape and measure before you file a comment with the school district.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Went to a regional semifinal to watch a friend ref. Sitting high up in the stands I noticed something strange about the court.

On both ends of the court, the 3-point ark does not intersect the top of the key properly. If you were to continue the ark itself it would run along the inside of the top of the key. Even more than that, the arks were offset a little. It looked like if you measured them, the bench sides would have a slightly greater area. After the game I went to the other side’s stands and sat in the same general area in them as I did during the game. Bench side still looked larger so it was not an optical elusion. On the court you really can’t tell this unless you know what you are looking for.
How were the games/officiating? I wanted to go but moneyman talked me into doing a couple of MS boys games in Woodbridge. Both games were really good for that level of play -- both won by visitors, 2 points in 1st and 1 point in the 2nd. Worked with a first year applicant (never met him before) and he did a good job.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

How were the games/officiating?
Saw the Lake Braddock vs. Robinson game. Unfortunately I missed seeing West Springfield loose.

Refs were Felker, Thompson, and Vail. They called a very good game but I would have been surprised if they did not. The LB coach only had 25 or so complaints a half so it must have been a good game in his eyes also.

Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Juulie,

What is the proper mechanic when an official is breaking ahead of the play with "his/her" back turned to the play and a ball is passed so that it strikes the official first in the legs, then hits the hip and then goes OOB and when the official turns to ask for help the off official just laughs?

Just thought I'd ask.

Tee
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 10:28am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: Juulie,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
What is the proper mechanic when an official is breaking ahead of the play with "his/her" back turned to the play and a ball is passed so that it strikes the official first in the legs, then hits the hip and then goes OOB and when the official turns to ask for help the off official just laughs?

Just thought I'd ask.

Tee

Hmmmmm. Interesting sitch.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Juulie,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Just thought I'd ask.
I'm wondering why this is addressed to Juulie? Did you hear a story that the rest of us were not privy to?
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

I would NEVER pass on a story that I only heard about!

Tee
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Wouldn't it depend on whether the trail judged that the lead intentionally struck the ball with his/her legs or whether it was incidental?
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

How were the games/officiating?
Saw the Lake Braddock vs. Robinson game. Unfortunately I missed seeing West Springfield loose.

Refs were Felker, Thompson, and Vail. They called a very good game but I would have been surprised if they did not. The LB coach only had 25 or so complaints a half so it must have been a good game in his eyes also.

Thanks. Wanted to go to Robinson tonight, but I had too many things getting in the way. Hope to go Saturday for state quarter final.

Was really surprised to see that West Springfield girls and Hayfield boys lost. Did the clock at Westfield on Monday when Chantilly led Langley 29-11 right before half and held on to win by 1 point in O/T.