The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Ok before we start, I didn't see the play, I heard about it. A1 is dribbling up the floor, either A1 or A2 has what appears to be a lower leg cramp or strain. Coach A has 3 subs waiting at the table. Team B is in the middle of making a little run to get back into the game, Team B is the home team Playing at altitude where oxygen is at a premium. Coach A convinces the officials to stop the game for the "injured" player. When the officials stop the game they allow the subs in. Is this the correct procedure?? The reason I ask is the AD for team B was on the radio mentioning that the subs should not have been let in because it was a "live ball" substitution??? Don't know the time on the clock or any other information for sure, so cover all the bases if you could....even if Team B had the ball and Team A the injured player....Thanks

Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 11:07am
Esteemed Participant

If they stopped the clock for an injured player, the subs can come in...one of them better be coming in for the injured player, or they can take a time-out to keep that player in...the AD was incorrect...if B had the ball, they should not stop the clock for a cramping situation...not until A has the ball again...if A's injury is severe, or if the injured player is down in a spot which is dangerous (example:the middle of the key at the offensive end), then stop it regardless of who has the ball...
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Live ball substition? Accck!!!!

If there's a stop in the action then blow the whistle & sub the injured player out, regardless of who has the ball. At this point all subs at the table can enter the game, except for some very specific cases in the last minute of the game which do not apply here (inadveretent whistle or administative mistake). This might be what was confusing your radio guy....who knows.

Of course, this "leg cramp" might have been a ploy to get a free substition opportunity, who knows, but other than the the play was handled correctly.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

thanks guys. It didn't sound right to me but it is my team so I had to try and believe LOL....
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 11:26am
In Memoriam

These rules say it all.

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Ok before we start, I didn't see the play, I heard about it. A1 is dribbling up the floor, either A1 or A2 has what appears to be a lower leg cramp or strain. Coach A has 3 subs waiting at the table. Team B is in the middle of making a little run to get back into the game, Team B is the home team Playing at altitude where oxygen is at a premium. Coach A convinces the officials to stop the game for the "injured" player. When the officials stop the game they allow the subs in. Is this the correct procedure?? The reason I ask is the AD for team B was on the radio mentioning that the subs should not have been let in because it was a "live ball" substitution??? Don't know the time on the clock or any other information for sure, so cover all the bases if you could....even if Team B had the ball and Team A the injured player....Thanks

NCAA 3-4-6: Substitution shall not be allowed when the game is stopped in the last 59.9 seconds of the second half or any extra period to correct a timer's mistake or for an inadvertent whistle.

NFHS 3-3-1d: A substitute who desires to enter shall report to the scorers, giving his/her number d. If entry is at any time other than between quarters, and a substitute who is entitled and ready to enter reports to the scorers, the scorer shall use a sounding device or game horn, if, the ball is dead and the clock is stopped.
Case 3.3.1D ....Ruling: ...(a)...B6 may also enter because he/she had legally reported to the table and another player had been directed to leave the game by an official.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

yep that says it all, thanks guys...