The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 10:22am
Jerry Blum

Situation is A inbounding ball underneath their basket(basket the are shooting at), B1 intercepts inbounds pass in the lane. After B1 intercepts the pass he immediately shoots at A's basket, misses everything and goes after ball and catches it. What do we have?

I am not sure what this would be because I know if we have a player shooting at the wrong basket and they get fouled it is a common foul not a shooting foul. So I would tend to believe that this wouldn't fall under the rebounding your own airball.

Thanks for your help.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

You are correct. Apply the same thinking as if B1 is fouled in this situation...it is a common foul, not a shooting foul, because B1's action does not constitute a shot attempt.

In your situation, B1 has violated. Traveling.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Throwing the ball off the opponent's backboard is considered to be part of a dribble. However, if it missed everything, then you've got a travel. It's not a shot attempt, so. . .

Chuck
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:11am
Jerry Blum

That's what I thought it would be. I just wasn't positive and wanted to get some others opinions on it.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

If a player gets the ball and without dribbling throws it up in the air and then lets it bounce and then proceed to dribble the ball, is this a violation?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by jking_94577
If a player gets the ball and without dribbling throws it up in the air and then lets it bounce and then proceed to dribble the ball, is this a violation?
Assuming he has not already ended a dribble then no.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Then how is this different from your above sitch. The "shot" missed everything so that is almost like throwing up the ball in the air and then letting it bounce and retrieving it. Just as long as the shooter let the ball bounce before retrieving it, this should not be a violation then.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 05:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If he catches the ball in the air, before it hits the floor, it's a travel if it isn't a shot attempt. If he hasn't dribbled, and it hits the floor first, nothing. Of course, if he recovers the bounce with both hands and then proceeds to dribble; it's a DD.

snaqwells