The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

I was watching (not working, thankfully) one of the Illinois HS girls class AA sectional final games last night. The sectional finals winners advance to the final field of 16 teams who will compete for the state championship, so this game is huge and both teams are excellent.

The game included plenty of spirited fan participation in a packed college (DIII) gym. It was LOUD.

Situation with about 8 seconds left (my estimate; I don't recall exactly). Score is 44-44:

A1 is at the line preparing to shoot 2. She has not yet received the ball from the official, but all players are in place and ready to go. Team B's fan section is shouting loudly. B2 is positioned on the lane with her back to B's fans. She turns around to face them and makes a grand gesture with both arms for them to cheer more loudly. The volume doubles. In response A1 (who still does not have the ball) faces A's fans and does the same. She had a look like, "fine, you want it loud, then let's get loud!" Volume increases accordingly. B2 repeats her gesture for good measure.

I'll let you know how it turned out in a bit, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. Do you say or do anything here?
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Since the shooter hasn't received the ball yet, there's no infraction that I can see. Additionally, I don't think it's unsportsmanlike to encourage the crowd to cheer, even at such a critical point in the game.

However, when I step in to administer the FTs, I might say "Ladies, that might be construed as disconcerting the shooter." And leave it at that. JMO

Chuck
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I got nuthin' on this. They're having fun, it's about having fun.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 10:45am
In Memoriam

"Okay.... Are you two ready now?"
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like good fun to me. Why on earth were you thankful you weren't working this game. I live for games like that!

Z
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Why on earth were you thankful you weren't working this game. I live for games like that!

Z
Mostly because I really enjoyed watching it. When I ref or coach, I see a very different game since I have responsibility for one or the other aspect of it. I enjoy both of those activities a great deal, but I also enjoy just watching a great game sometimes!

The three gentlemen who were working the game handled the situation as most have suggested - they let it go.

I was more concerned by B1's actions as a coach than as an official. I do see some potential for a technical to be called here, and I would probably have instructed my player to cut it out (as if she would have heard)! While I don't think it would have been the best call to manage the game, I do think you can make a case that inciting the crowd to disconcert the shooter is an unsportsmanlike act. I think the player should at least be taught to considerer the possiblility that an official could have considered calling something, and that the call could have an impact on our ability to win the game. Moreover, I try to encourage my players to focus on the basketball rather than the officiating, the fans, etc.

By way of interest, A1 (one of the top juniors in the nation, I believe) nailed the freethrows to win the game. Team A moves on to Illinois' "Sweet 16" with the satisfaction that they bested an excellent opponent to do so. I love seeing the girls' game in Illinois receiving as much attention and respect as it does. These girls are flat-out good, and they deserve the recognition they're getting.

Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

There is a fine line between gamesmanship and unsportsmanlike conduct. I think what B1 did was gamesmanship. And A1's response was exactly the sort of thing you'd hope for if you were Coach A. It's a game, it's fun, and it's not supposed to be silent like golf!