The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Do you guys "do yourselves up" before games? I realize that we should look professional, but is it important to fix your hair just right, to have a clean complexion, etc.? For instance, I have heard that one of the officials in our association (you will go nameless, MN 3 Sport Ref) sprays cologne on the backs of his pants near the ankles because "that's where the cheerleaders sit." I understand hygiene is important, but is it important enough that state assignors have it high on their list of priorities?
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ridgeben
Talking Looks

I would say that regardless of what the Cheerleaders think, it is always a good idea to look your best. Have you ever been assigned to a crew and your partner show up in wrinkled clothes and smells like curdled milk? He looks like an @ss, and you never want to have the people watching you think that you are a bad ref simply because you do not look good. First impressions really do make a difference, espically in this line of work.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
For instance, I have heard that one of the officials in our association (you will go nameless, MN 3 Sport Ref) sprays cologne on the backs of his pants near the ankles because "that's where the cheerleaders sit."

With attention to detail like that, I am sure that the "nameless" individual must be a very sharp official, all-around.

Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 04:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking cologne?

I try to look my best before and during the game, but I do not get the cologne thing. I have two guys I work with that put cologne on before they go out and we are working guys games. I am not trying to smell good for the players or cheerleaders. I put on deoterant and lotion before I go on the court, but not cologne. That to me is a bit much.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
When i'm going to my game i always thinks like i'm going to meet a girle..
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I am guilty of the aftershave thing. I also brush my teeth and gargle with Listerine prior to taking the floor. To me looking professional encompasses the whole package which includes hygiene and appearance. I've been chuckled at by many a partner as a result of this second pre-game routine. The first being the pre-game itself. I also press my pants and shirt, etc.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ROMANO Send a message via AIM to ROMANO
walter
i do the same things+asking from my freinds to come and record my game on a home video camera..if the game isn't on t-v.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Being neat, clean, tidy, and presentable is important.

Exercising basic hygiene is important.

Having a sharp, professional-looking uniform, pants, shoes, etc, is important.

Having ultra-sweet breath, smelling like Georgio Armani, and looking like the cover of GQ is most certainly NOT important.

Good grief.

"Professional" is somewhat about appearance, but like most things in life, it's more about WHO you are and HOW you conduct yourself.

That guy who lathers on aftershave for the cheerleaders needs to get over himself.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you guys "do yourselves up" before games? I realize that we should look professional, but is it important to fix your hair just right,
Hair! ROTFL. I have not had much hair since the late '60s.

Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Really now?

Quote:
Do you guys "do yourselves up" ... MN 3 Sport Ref... sprays cologne on the backs of his pants near the ankles because "that's where the cheerleaders sit."
The cheerleaders sit on his ankles? Or is it sits on his pants? Does he have his pants on at this time or are they just lying their with a cheerleader sitting on them?

Do these cheerleaders get in his way as he officiates... probably makes it difficult to get up and down the floor.

Oooooh what kind of cologne does he use?
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
On the female side of this, I find that my credibility is enhanced quite a bit, if I wear a little make-up. I discovered this almost by accident one game when I left the floor and went directly to the rest room, and caught a look at myself in the mirror. Wow! That was a shock. My nose looked swollen and throbbing and beet red. The rest of the face could have been called flushed, but not in a pleasant way. I went to the department store and tried all kinds of makeup until I found one that I"m not allergic to, that keeps my nose looking -- well, normal. Makes a huge difference.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 07:38pm
In Memoriam

Re: Really now?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Do you guys "do yourselves up" ... MN 3 Sport Ref... sprays cologne on the backs of his pants near the ankles because "that's where the cheerleaders sit."
The cheerleaders sit on his ankles? Or is it sits on his pants? Does he have his pants on at this time or are they just lying their with a cheerleader sitting on them?

Do these cheerleaders get in his way as he officiates... probably makes it difficult to get up and down the floor.

Oooooh what kind of cologne does he use?
ROTFLMAO,Tony. The picture of a referee running down the floor dragging a coupla cheerleaders flashed through my mind.
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Talking I sure do

Seeing how I'm still just 15, the way I look is important to me - on and off the court. However, since I'm so young, I think it's very important that I come across intelligent, professional, and able (which I believe I am anyway).

I do gel my hair in place - combed forward and then pushed up in the front. I also apply deoderant and Avatar cologne before the games. I find it very important to smell good, too. I hate the thought of smelling like body odor, and I find that putting on deoderant and cologne and bathing will keep me from having it pretty decently. I have no problem going the extra mile to be very hygenic.

I find it appaling to talk to somebody that doesn't smell decent. If there's no scent, that's fine, but it's a personal thing for me - I HAVE to smell good. I don't want a no scent - I want a nice scent. In school, with friends, or refereeing a basketball game..
Old Thu Feb 27, 2003, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Aight - since my fellow jNBA guy went on this im gunna have to go in too LOL

Im 16. I like to impress #14 from the Lynx's older sister who also plays girls baskseball and is very pretty and talented. LOL Course now that season is over im havint to step it up at school. LOL! THats another story.

Seriously though, When I get ready for my games I take a shower (to calm and relax me before all the hell breaks loose - also because sometimes my first game is at 8AM on a saturday morning and I need to wake up). Afterwords I put on a moisturizing cream (daily Aveeeno) stuff to keep my skin moist when sweat to drys ( i get dry skin easily). It also helps me keep a normal color until i get alot of turnovers back to back with no dead ball. Shirts tucked in before I leave the house jacket is on the second I get out the car. A quick shot of polo sport and I am good to go. Scope is a most before games. Nothings worst than trying to talk to a coach and having bad breath. I've even gone as far as putting listerne strips in my pocket to freshen up at half time. That whistle makes me saliva glands go crazy so usually i need a quick shot to freshen my mouth up at half time. If I work several games and have an hour or so to run home(all games are played within 10 min of my house) i'll come home throw my slacks and shirt in tuble air dry to freshen them up a bit. I do this for a rec leaguge games. Hair is lightly gel'd forward and neat. No sideburns or facial hair. To me a referee should have no facial hair. Do the players get to have it? Most ADs dont. I know our AD has a facial hair no play rule. Kinna sucks but oh well. I'll prolly keep this routine forever.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:40am
We don't rent pigs

Re: Really now?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:

Another of the many perks of this job.

Lonesome Dove