LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Two questions.

1. Artificial noise makers are allowed in the gym only
A. During regular season games
B. During State playoffs
C. Never

2. Hanging from the rim is allowed when?

The reason for these Questions is as follows.

During a Varsity Contest a fan from the visiting team rings a huge cow bell everytime the home team shoots free throws.

During the same game a break away defense steals ball goes down dunks the ball(no one follows him) does a pull up on the rim.

How would make the call?
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Per NCAA rules never for noise makers and to avoid injury on the second.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 04:17pm
In Memoriam

1)Artificial noisemakers are prohibited except for pre-game,timeouts,intermissions and postgame.
2)Hanging from the rim is a T(unless it's to avoid injury) if it occurs during the officials' jurisdiction-i.e.from the time the officials come onto the floor until they leave the floor at the end of the game.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
Per NCAA rules never for noise makers...
Not entirely true. Per NCAA they are prohibited when the game is in progress, meaning they CAN be used before the game, during timeouts & intermissions.

However...during a game this season a security person asked me during a timeout if noisemakers can be used. After I gave her this explanation she turned & walked into the stands & confiscated some horn type noisemakers. I had the feeling she was going to do that no matter what I told her. She was tough!
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
1)Artificial noisemakers are prohibited except for pre-game,timeouts,intermissions and postgame.
2)Hanging from the rim is a T(unless it's to avoid injury) if it occurs during the officials' jurisdiction-i.e.from the time the officials come onto the floor until they leave the floor at the end of the game.
Whoa, you're quick.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 04:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Whoa, you're quick. [/B][/QUOTE]Yeah,from the waist up!
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Artificial noise makers.

Thank you for getting back with me on the 2 questions asked. The referee made no effort to remove the noise maker or call a T for hanging on the rim. Give me some help. I was working that three man crew that night. I called the T on the grasping of the rim and had the noise maker removed from the stands with the help of gym manager. This is my 7th year of officiating and 2nd year for varsity level games. But after making the call to remove the noise maker and I blew a late whistle for grasping the rim,after seeing my partner was not going to make the call. At half time I got my a** ate for Calling a T. This was a vet official. He stated it was not my call to make it was his. I stood there with my chin on my chest and had no response. My other partner said he waited for you to make the call and you did not so he did. After that comment the (Referee) said it was not our call, and walked out. After the game he would not go over the game tape with us. Showered and left. This is the same guy who had done the boys AA final four last year. So when I was teamed up with him that night I was so excited to be doing a game with him I all most busted at the seams. Now instead I have a bad taste in my mouth. My other partner talked to me and said not to worry about this, but I am. HOw much damage can he do to my career for what I thought was the right calls
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Whoa, you're quick.
Nope, my buddy was too quick.

The playing of music and sound effects are only permitted during pre-game, time-outs, intermission and post-game.

The use of artificial noisemakers is always prohibited.

CLAY, have game management remove the item. As for grasping the rim, what position were you in and where were your partners positioned?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 05:02pm
In Memoriam

Isn't the proper procedure with noisemakers to have a public address announcement made that they're not to be used except during the permitted times? And then to call a T(yeah right)to the team supporters if they keep using them after the warning?
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Artificial noise makers.

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
I called the T on the grasping of the rim and had the noise maker removed from the stands with the help of gym manager... At half time I got my a** ate for Calling a T. This was a vet official. He stated it was not my call to make it was his. I stood there with my chin on my chest and had no response. My other partner said he waited for you to make the call and you did not so he did. After that comment the (Referee) said it was not our call, and walked out.
Who was the trail? If he was the trail and you the lead, then he's got beef with you about it not being your call. However, if you're the trail and/or center, He's got no right to tell you it's not your call.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

There are no permitted times.

Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 07:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
There are no permitted times.
Casebook play1.18SitC--"to have a public adress announcement made stating that the use of any artificial noisemakers is prohibited other than during the permitted times". The permitted times are outlined in R1-18.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Then the case book play and the rule don't agree.

1-18
The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pre-game, time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be prohibited.

It doesn't say that they are permitted during certain times. It says they are prohibited. Prohibited means they can't be used at all, it would seem to me.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it. The NCHSAA doesn't allow music except before and after the game, and during halftime. SO if artificial noisemakers were allowed, I still wouldn't have to worry about them.

Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Don't sweat it!

If he is embarrassed because you made the correct call for him... that's his problem. Sounds like he should have been thanking you for his choke.

Integrity will come through in the end. Make the right call. I'd say good job Clay!

The guy is still a great official and you should still be excited if you get the chance to work with him again... he has experiences and knowledge that you don't have yet.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 07:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Then the case book play and the rule don't agree.

1-18
The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pre-game, time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be prohibited.

It doesn't say that they are permitted during certain times. It says they are prohibited. Prohibited means they can't be used at all, it would seem to me.
I agree that the rule does seem restrictive,and the language ain't the greatest.However,IMO the casebook play was added,as they usually are,to expand and explain further the concept contained in the original rule,and how that rule should actually be called. If noisemakers were completely prohibited,then they would be removed or banned from the stands,as one post above suggested.They aren't prohibited from the stands,as per the casebook play.They are just prohibited from being used at any time except for the ones listed.