The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Question

This happened to me while officiating a game last night. Please help me know the correct call to make if it ever happens again.
An offensive player makes an attempt for a three pointer. A defensive player close to the basket jumps in an attempt to rebound the ball. His jump is early, and he also gets pushed by an offensive player toward the basket. His forward momentum toward the rim causes him to interfere with the 3 point attempt, causing the shot to come out of the cylinder. I blew my whistle and called a foul on the offensive player that did the pushing. I did not know what to do about the basket interference. What is the correct thing to do? Is the basket good, even though the defensive player was pushed toward the rim? Please help me!
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Wink

The pushing foul causes the ball to become dead, BUT in what way did the player interfere with the basket? If he did so because of the contact foul on the opposing player, ignore it. The only reason it happened was due to the contact by the opposing player. Just explain to the coach what happened and let him know. Especially if he was attempting to save himself from a hard fall. Player safety is to me considered as well.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
The pushing foul causes the ball to become dead,
No, it doesn't. Once a shot is in flight, only a player control foul by an airborne shooter can cause the ball to become dead.

You have no choice but to count the basket. The foul cannot negate what the defender did.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

The foul occured on the OFFENSIVE team much like a team control foul in NCAA. I DON'T count that basket if the defender was shoved in the back so hard that he had to grab the net or something to prevent his falling. But that is my insignificant opinion.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The foul occured on the OFFENSIVE team much like a team control foul in NCAA.
It doesn't matter. The shot is in flight. No foul causes the ball to become dead except a PC foul by an airborne shooter.

6-7-4,5
The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
4- A player-control foul occurs.
5- A foul occurs (see exception below).

EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends when:
1. Article 5, 6, or 7 occurs while a try or tap for a field goal is in flight.

It doesn't matter whether the foul is by the offense or the defense, the ball does not become dead.

Had the ball not been released, then a foul by the offense would cause the ball to become dead. In the same situation, continuos motion would apply if the foul was on the defense.

Quote:
I DON'T count that basket if the defender was shoved in the back so hard that he had to grab the net or something to prevent his falling. But that is my insignificant opinion.
Based on what rule?

Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

So you are going to call basket interference on the defense after he gets shoved in the back by the offense trying to save himself from falling on his skull? I will let you explain that one to the coach. Use the same common sense as you would in a grasping the ring situation.

Rule this, section this, blah blah blah....common sense officiating will go MUCH further in this situation.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 12:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The ball doesn't become dead under NCAA rules in this case either when the foul occurs. The NCAA rules reference is R6-6-1c.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Rule this, section this, blah blah blah....common sense officiating will go MUCH further in this situation.
Does that mean that you recommending that officials should ignore plainly written rules in favor of using their own judgement?
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you are going to call basket interference on the defense after he gets shoved in the back by the offense trying to save himself from falling on his skull? I will let you explain that one to the coach. Use the same common sense as you would in a grasping the ring situation.

"...blah, blah, blah..." Sounds like the ramblings of a successful official.

The rule allows a player to grab the rim to prevent injure. But if he interferes with the shot while he's hanging from the rim, it's still BI. So, if you want to ignore the T for grabbing the rim/net, fine. But you can't ignore the BI.

As far as the coach goes, who cares? If he doesn't understand the rule, it's certainly not my problem. You're so worried about the coach, what are you going to say to the coach who you didn't give the basket to?

We can't make calls, worrying about what a coach is going to think.

Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Jeremy, although I agree that a common sense approach is helpful, it seems to me that the common sense thing is to call what obviously happened. The ball was knocked out of the cylinder by the defender. I don't see how the official can ignore that. I see your point, that the BI was caused by the illegal action of an opponent, but I don't see how ignoring the obvious violation makes the situation better.

Suppose instead of touching the ball, the defender mistimed his jump and grasped the rim to keep from falling on an opponent. (Definitely no T, for the sake of argument.) Now the ball hits the rim while the defender is grasping it. Wouldn't you call BI in this situation? It's not the defender's "fault", he's just protecting himself. Nevertheless, the obvious violation can't be ignored.

Do you agree, or do you think I'm off-target?

Chuck
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
The ball doesn't become dead under NCAA rules in this case either when the foul occurs. The NCAA rules reference is R6-6-1c.
Nor does the term "team control foul" apply, since there is no team control on a shot.

Jeremy, nowhere does it say that BI/GT does not apply if the violating player is fouled into the act. If you're working a game with players who play above the rim you had better be prepared to call this right. Common sense, safety or whatever have nothing whatsoever to do with this.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Corrected again gentlemen...and thanks! I know there is a reason why I can come here and make mistakes without getting an *** chewing from a coach!
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

I understand the fact that the ball is still live after the foul since it is during a shot attempt, but if the BI is solely caused by the foul, it just doesn't seem right to award the 3 points. However, I can't find any rule support to ignore the BI in this case because the ball is still live.

Mregor
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Try this:

A1 drives for a layup.
He's fouled by B1.
He loses the ball, it hits the rim and goes straight up.
A1 grabs the rim to prevent injury.
The ball goes in the basket.

What's the call?

Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Try this:

A1 drives for a layup.
He's fouled by B1.
He loses the ball, it hits the rim and goes straight up.
A1 grabs the rim to prevent injury.
The ball goes in the basket.

What's the call?
BI by A1 causes the ball to become dead no goal can be scored. Shoot 2 shots for foul by B. No technical for grabbing rim as referee ruled it was to prevent injury.
FED 9-11 supports.