The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 11:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I was calling a recreation league Saturday where the players were high school aged kids that didn't play on their teams for whatever reason.

Coming down towards the end of a game when I call a traveling violation on one of the kids. A teammate comes up to me, gets in my face and screams, "How the f--- can you make that call?"

I called a flagrant technical -- and in this league a technical is an automatic two shot award and the ball, which essentially ended the game.

I really have no question or point to make, other than the fact that I've never had someone in a non-adult rec game do something like that. What surprised me more was that I ejected the kid with all the enthusiasm of an NBA ref calling a routine technical (in other words, none).

My last scheduled game, although I could end up with another varsity game if I get a call this week. What a way to end the year.

Rich
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

"WHACK! Get out!"

I would have tossed him with all the energy of a MLB umpire.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:01am
We don't rent pigs

It happens. Several years ago, 2 8th grade boys teams which had played several times and been nip and tuck all year. 10 seconds left, home teams up 4 shooting free throws, game all but over. Star player for the visitors mumbled to nobody in particular, "Refs are cheating their a** off." I was reasonably sure of what he said, but not 100% so I decided to ignore him. So he said it again, only louder this time. He wanted me to hear him. I said, "Well,
it's not your problem any more tonight, buddy," and pointed him toward the bench. We shot the free throws and the last 10 seconds passed with various staring matches at close range between opponents. Nothing physical, from the players. 2 parents got into a bit of a wrestling match at center court after the game. Never a dull moment.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

8th grade boys....

Pathetic behaviour by all (except you).
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
That's such a disgrace in youth league basketball - or even basketball in general!

The problem I have is I show to much emotion when calling technical fouls. I probably would have been all over that kid, probably would have lost my composure, because I cannot stand being spoken to like that, and I retaliate. Fortunately, I am working on that, and I'm doing much better. I can take much more crap and criticism from coaches and fans.

I would have suggested answering as follows:

"Just as easy as I can call this one" - then make the T signal right infront of his face, then do the baseball "heave-ho"!

Like I said, I'm getting better....
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMATTHEW05
That's such a disgrace in youth league basketball - or even basketball in general!

The problem I have is I show to much emotion when calling technical fouls.

I am serious about this, the more you call the easer it gets. Do some rec games and get some practice.

Plus, "NEVER" give a T in the face of a player or coach. Report the T as you would any foul and walk away. In the face is asking for trouble.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Here is another tip I got from a very experienced official ...when issuing a T never walk over to the table immediately to report it. Instead, after calling the T head towards the center circle away from the bench and coach. This way, if the coach has choice words for you he either has to shout it loudly (so everyone in the gym can hear it) or follow you onto the court (where he clearly does not belong). Either way, whack. If nothing is heard from the bench/coach, then head a few steps towards the table and report the T as usual.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Good stuff, firedoc, tonight I whacked a coach who got in my face about a no-call. First thing after the T-sign was a walk to centre court where I announced what was happening, and made eye-contact with my partner so he knew what was going on, where the ball would be coming in, and who had possession. 5-10 seconds later, I head towards the table, report, and jog to the baseline to administer the free throws.

Only thing I did wrong: I made the T-sign facing the coach, maybe 10 feet from his bench. So not exactly "in his face", but close enough in retrospect. I should have turned the other way. Oh well, he was fine for the rest of the game.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
A few seasons ago I whacked the coach in a JV game. A few minutes later he had a legitimate question: he raised his hand from the bench before he would speak.

Last season I whacked the coach,also in a JV game. He sat back down on the bench and said "I get the message."

In both situations they were on their best behavior for the rest of the game.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
Here is another tip I got from a very experienced official ...when issuing a T never walk over to the table immediately to report it.
Good addition. Let me add a little more.

We were taught, but sad to say seldom used, to walk to the back reporting box and report the T from there. At the same time meet your partner or a partner in the box. . Tell him/her the situation all-the-while keeping an eye out for trouble. Let the partner go to the table to see that everything is OK with the book. You go opposite the table and let the partner get the ball to you. In this way you are out of the line of fire of the coach.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Man did I have a tough one last night

I finished my first HS season last week (about 30 games) without issuing a T. The very last game I should have had one but just wrongly let it slide. Oh well.

I'm doing an adult mens rec league to get more experience (and what experience I am getting). The second week my partner T's someone. The third week we have players square off to exchange phone numbers and partner and I T both. Order is restored and we play on like nice little boys.

Last night in our last of three games, about 2 minutes into it a player commits a foul on defense and I call it as Lead. His momentum carries him near me and he screams something or other in my face. "Well", I think "that was easy" and blow my whistle again and give a T sign. We all start walking toward the other end of the floor and he doesn't let it go, shouting about how stupid I am and how this must be the first game I've ever reffed. I thought "sorry buddy but you're gone" and blow my whistle again. The bad news is they only had five players.

Here's my mistake. After reporting I hung around the division line while the free throws were being shot instead of being the one to administer the free throws. Of course one of the players gives me an earful and although I have asked him to stop and I walked away he continued. When I T'd him after the first free throw I was becoming a very popular guy! If I had administered the FT's then I could have avoided that one.

The ejected player and a friend heckled me hard the next time down the court. I blew the whistle and asked the game manager to ask them to leave. They did, he did but he hung around outside the door to watch. I was a bit nervous.

Another player for their team showed up and they played with 5 and won by about 20. After the end of the game the second player I T'd came up and said "I hope you don't have any more Tuesday night assignments 'cause we don't want you doing any more of our games". I was too shocked to say anything but game management told him to stop being a jerk and go away. I appreciated game management.

My partner walked me to my car and I learned several valuable lessons.

Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Man did I have a tough one last night

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
The ejected player and a friend heckled me hard the next time down the court. I blew the whistle and asked the game manager to ask them to leave. ...
You're lucky. I used to work an adult rec league where the sponsoring organization rented the gym and didn't always send someone to do game management. I had a situation similar to yours after ejecting a player. My partner and I were lucky to get out of there.

I don't do rec leagues anymore....