The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Worked two high school games with a Division 2 ref last week. He was lead and becoming the new trail on change of possession. Offensive player takes outlet pass, turns quickly, and begins quick dribble up court but runs right up the back of a defensive player who was slowly running down court to assume position. Offensive player knocks defensive player to the floor. Div 2 ref whistles defensive foul and explains to the shocked player that he was not in guarding position facing the dribbler so he gets the foul.

Discussed this with another college ref and he essentially agreed with the call. My position is that the defensive player was at that spot on the floor and is entitled to it by rule and may not be displaced. I compared this to the "over the Back", push foul that we frequently call. He insisted that the call cannot be offensive but either a defense foul or preferably a no call if you can get away with it.

Any opinions on this ?? Thanks
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 08:02pm
In Memoriam

Yikes!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by finnref
He insisted that the call cannot be offensive but either a defense foul or preferably a no call if you can get away with it.

Dribbler knocks over a legal defender?
Of course it's player control.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 08:04pm
In Memoriam

I agree with your position.More importantly(because my opinion don't mean squat),the NFHS rulebook also agrees with you.

See casebook play 10.6.2SitB-COMMENT-"When both the dribbler and the opponent are moving in exactly the same path and same direction,the player BEHIND is responsible for contact which results if the player in front slows down or stops". A "legal guarding position" is not mentioned in this call at all.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Well, you know reffing is just like government, you weed out the bad ones by giving them promotions...
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 11:22pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I agree with your position.More importantly(because my opinion don't mean squat),the NFHS rulebook also agrees with you.

See casebook play 10.6.2SitB-COMMENT-"When both the dribbler and the opponent are moving in exactly the same path and same direction,the player BEHIND is responsible for contact which results if the player in front slows down or stops". A "legal guarding position" is not mentioned in this call at all.
Your opinions mean squat here JR. In rule 10.6 where is there any mention of "legal guarding position" other than in the note at the end? Take the above situation with a little different twist. Player B1, anticipating a shot turns to get position for a rebound, with his back to A1.
But wait, it was only a head fake! A1 blows by the defender
on the perimeter and goes up and dunks over B1, who has not moved for the last 3 or 4 seconds. The contact sends B1 crashing to the floor. B1 never obtained "legal guarding position" by definition, but he has not moved, so this can't possibly be a blocking foul, can it? I have thought
that when one reads the definition of legal guarding position that it seems to carry more weight than it actually
does in a game situation. Comments from knowledgeable, intelligent people (and others) are welcome now.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Offensive player takes outlet pass, turns quickly, and begins quick dribble up court but runs right up the back of a defensive player who was slowly running down court to assume position. Offensive player knocks defensive player to the floor.
I got a Player Control foul.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Worked two high school games with a Division 2 ref last week. He was lead and becoming the new trail on change of possession. Offensive player takes outlet pass, turns quickly, and begins quick dribble up court but runs right up the back of a defensive player who was slowly running down court to assume position. Offensive player knocks defensive player to the floor. Div 2 ref whistles defensive foul and explains to the shocked player that he was not in guarding position facing the dribbler so he gets the foul.
I'm not saying a word. :-)

Z
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm, perhaps it is possible to take the notion of refereeing the defense too far?
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Offensive foul. Defensive player disadvantaged.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theshortbaldref
Well, you know reffing is just like government, you weed out the bad ones by giving them promotions...
Since I am a government worker, I guess this is why I keep getting promoted. No complaints, just keep the paycheck coming.