The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of things.

1. When 2 players are jockeying for postion what do you look for to determine a foul or not.

2. What about boxing out for a rebound. I believe on boxing out if a player gets displaced then its a foul. What are your thoughts.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 09:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by force39
A couple of things.

1. When 2 players are jockeying for postion what do you look for to determine a foul or not.
The amount of contact, the type of contact and the establishment and maintenance or lack thereof of legal guarding position.

Quote:
2. What about boxing out for a rebound. I believe on boxing out if a player gets displaced then its a foul. What are your thoughts.
See above.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
A couple of things.

I am looking for the intensity of what is going on. Leaning verses pushing. A controling hand. Any grab is automatic. Any Displacement is automatic. Read up on the POE. That will tell you what you need to call. I want to talk to the players if the contact does not create any advantage. If it does create an advantage, I will whistle it immediatly.

Quote:
2. What about boxing out for a rebound. I believe on boxing out if a player gets displaced then its a foul. What are your thoughts. [/B]
I am usually loking at displacement. Did the player behind push the one in front under the basket? Did the player in front move the one behind to the free throw line? "I was only boxing out, coach."
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A couple of things.

Referee the defender.

Watch for a knee in the butt or hands or a forearm in the back of the player in front.

Watch for an offensive player who hooks the defender or holds him with both arms extended backwards

Watch for who got position first, if either player being displaced and being placed at a disadvantage.

In the defender is fronting the post player, watch for a push off by the post player if the ball is thrown over the top.

Quote:
A player can box out but if he starts backing his opponent out, it can be a foul. But if it doesn't have an effect on the play, you can pass on it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 03:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Questions I ask myself.

Where is the ball?

Who initiated contact?

Is there displacement?

Where is the ball?

Did the contact affect who recieved the ball?

Did the "boxed out" player get displaced?

Peace
Old Sat Feb 22, 2003, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

I am sure I am getting this call right. I had a coach one time really question the call saying he works hard to teach his kids to box out. But what happened was the kid just shoved him out of the way. I told the coach displacement was the call.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2003, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I am sure I am getting this call right. I had a coach one time really question the call saying he works hard to teach his kids to box out. But what happened was the kid just shoved him out of the way. I told the coach displacement was the call.
When "boxing out" means being in the best spot to get the rebound and not giving that spot to anyone else, then boxing out is legal. When "boxing out" means pushing someone out of good rebounding position then boxing out is NOT legal. If coaches would teach more of the former and less of the latter we'd have a lot less explaining to do.