The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 18, 2000, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Had a situation last night in a YMCA youth game 12 yr olds. A1 was shooting 2 free throws. I was trail. First shot was good. After looking at floor more clselu I noticed he had been over the free throw line when after he shot his first. The gymn floor was brown and the foul line was close to the same color so it was difficult to see it at first. I also thought it was difficult for the player to see where the foul ine was. Before he shot his second free throw I went up to him and told him to move behind the line on his 2nd shot. The coach for team B complained and wanted the first free throw nullified. What would you have done?
Old Fri Aug 18, 2000, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

I say let it go. If you don't know 100% that he was over, you have to let it go.

Good job on the prevenitive though, it probably saved a headache.

Old Fri Aug 18, 2000, 01:26pm
Suppref

In a 12 year old game you did the right thing. Agree that unless your 100% sure do nothing. At that level you are as much a teacher/coach as the adult on the bench. In a HS game if you have a violation call it. This is not always the most popular call, but my motto is "I have enough friends, my partner is the only one I need tonight".

Have fun. - - Suppref
Old Fri Aug 18, 2000, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Brian and Supp....I let it go by the way. Luckily the other team didnt lose by 1 or the coach would have tried to pin the loss on me.

Jack
Old Fri Aug 18, 2000, 03:11pm
In Memoriam

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by jackgil:
Thanks Brian and Supp....I let it go by the way. Luckily the other team didnt lose by 1 or the coach would have tried to pin the loss on me.

Jack

Jack,
I think you did it well. It would've been called if you had noticed, but wasn't called on merely a guess.
mick