The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Hey, let me ask a question.

First of all, I just starting getting some varsity games. I did my first three-man set about three weeks ago. If was a large Class 6A school versus a large 2A school. Were thunking this is going to be a blowout. This particular 2A always finishes thier season with the daunting task of a 6A team to prepare themselves for the playoffs.
Well the coach for the 6A school knows my partners and obviously doesn't know me. Everytime he questioned something he got all over me. He would ask why I didnt see a foul that my partners called or why his team was outshot at the foul line 37-10, stuff like that. He was even more upset when his team lost the game they most definately should have one.
I see this particular coach everywhere now. At the school if I'm there for a girls game, other schools games, or even just out in public, but no matter where he always gives me this nasty look and won't say anything to me. Do I brush this off, what do I do?? Any advice for the future?
Did I get all the heat becasue he didn't know me and he knew my partners?
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 01:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Sounds like this may be a guy that the only way to deal with him is to avoid him. He wants to know why you didn't
see a foul that your partner called. If it got called how does he know whether you saw it or not? Was it right in front of you and your partner called it long distance? If he doesn't understand a 37-10 (exaggeration?)
FT disparity, he shouldn't be allowed out in public unsupervised. It doesn't sound like this is the case here,
but sometimes if all the noise is directed at you it is a compliment. The coach can see that your partner is so weak that there is no need to talk to him. As for seeing this guy in public, I say look the other way.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quoted from Just another ref

Sounds like this may be a guy that the only way to deal with him is to avoid him. He wants to know why you didn't
see a foul that your partner called. If it got called how does he know whether you saw it or not? Was it right in front of you and your partner called it long distance? If he doesn't understand a 37-10 (exaggeration?)
FT disparity, he shouldn't be allowed out in public unsupervised. It doesn't sound like this is the case here,
but sometimes if all the noise is directed at you it is a compliment. The coach can see that your partner is so weak that there is no need to talk to him. As for seeing this guy in public, I say look the other way.

Ditto,

BarryB
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, let me answer your question.

This coach saw you as a class of middle school students view a substitute teacher.

Since he viewed you as the "greenie", he was going to challenge you on each call all the way through until you could confidently and consistently repudiated his challenges with correct calls. It appears that you may have faltered under his intimidation tactics.

We all gain wisdom through experience how to apply the many tools (via the rules) available to us for game management.

This is what can happen when you have mastered their use....