The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

This is what I did in a JH game:

Team A's PG was dribbling the ball up the floor and was about as close to a carry as you can get. The first time he actually carried the ball, the ball was knocked out of his hand and OOB.While going to retrive the ball, I calmly told him to "Watch your dribble-you are close to a violation.Make sure you keep your hand on top of the ball." and he nodded his head and proceeded to play a better game. This was the first time that I had said something to the effect of giving a helpful hint to a player DURING a GAME.Now ,while under the boards, I have told players to watch the pushing and to keep an eye on the 3 seconds. After the game, I showered and got dressed back into my tuxedo(g)...errr...dress shirt and slacks. As I was walking out ,Team A's coach tracked me down and asked me what I had said to his PG.Itold the coach what I told him and he said that that was probably the best thingto happen to him all year and that he had been telling him that when the right official came along that he would call the violation. I felt good about the compliment from the coach but should I have said something to the player or just have let it go and called the violation the next time it occurred?
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

In Junior High...probably not. It is no more of a helpful tip than the "Watch the pushing!" and "Watch the paint!" comments. As long as you would give the other team player the same comment under the same conditions.

Now High School...the helpful tip they get from me will be after the whistle. They should know better and have better skills.

JMO
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say that was the only call that I never heard a coach bark at me about this season. It was usually..."I told you not to do that!!" to their player. I agree with larry, good time to point things out at that level, ding'em in the HS ranks. Good job.