The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Is there a specific mechanic that any of you use to ask for help from your parter on things like OOB? When I used to do baseball/softball we had a specific mechanic to use when requesting help on a checked swing (and a slight variation to indicate that you wanted your partner to echo your original call).
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 01:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Hold arm up and keep that stupid look on your face.

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Is there a specific mechanic that any of you use to ask for help from your parter on things like OOB? When I used to do baseball/softball we had a specific mechanic to use when requesting help on a checked swing (and a slight variation to indicate that you wanted your partner to echo your original call).
Hold your hand up for a violation and look towards the partner's side the play came from or where the ball came from, then they should give you an obvious signal one way or the other. Then you repeat that direction yourself.

This should be pregamed before you do it. But most officials that have been around the block, know this mechanic or at least should.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Lightbulb

I always keep my arm up and step around the players to get eye contact with my partner. Like Jrutledge said, If its pregamed, then no prob, but the key is that your partner is always there for you. If he hears your whistle and is gone, then your'e screwed. Always practice the art of communication, verbal and nonverbal...
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
A lot of our mechanics have short-hand names that we've come to recognize: "bird-dog", the "long switch", etc. The short-hand name for this mechanic is the "blank stare"!

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
Thumbs up

Good one!!
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 01:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
The short-hand name for this mechanic is the "blank stare"!

Nah,too easy!
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 02:22pm
In Memoriam

Good replies.

Hand in the air, eye contact, hand in the air, eye contact, hand in the air, eye contact, hand in the air, eye contact, hand in the air, eye contact, hand in the air, eye contact, ....

If partner shrugs, either point a direction or go two thumbs up.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

The dreaded shrug. Now everyone knows we're been guessing all game long. :-)

My pregame: "if the ball goes out on my line, but I'm clueless because I was looking off ball, point a direction or signal a jump when you see me with that "help me" look on my face. If you shrug, we both look like dummies (well, more than we aready did)."

Z
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

My pregame: "if the ball goes out on my line, but I'm clueless because I was looking off ball, point a direction or signal a jump when you see me with that "help me" look on my face. If you shrug, we both look like dummies (well, more than we aready did)."

Z
Yeah, they will probably guess that, but they don't know if we were lookin' for help with a tip.
We rarely catch any flack with two thumbs up. Then they know we admitted that we just don't know and that we aren't guessin'.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
A lot of our mechanics have short-hand names that we've come to recognize: "bird-dog", the "long switch", etc. The short-hand name for this mechanic is the "blank stare"!

Chuck
or "Deer in headlights look"
or "Frog in spotlight look" (for those from the south)

And a shrug from the partner makes both look silly. Might as well pull a coin out of the pocket and flip it.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 04:01pm
9 times

I put my hand in the air and yell out "help me!" By the time I have given a blank stare, everyone already knows that you don't have it, so why not just ask for help?

No real harm in this...get the play right.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Need a laugh?

Tonight I was trail, and the play quickly moved right in front of me. The ball went out and I didn't get a look at the foot of the player who tried to save it. Naturally it was right by the table between the coaches. It flew out off his hand, and I raised and looked at my partner. He shrugged, so I proclaimed loudly and confidently, "I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA!" The fans liked the call, anyway! AP!
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

This may seem like a silly question...but here goes

Is the shrug the proper response if the partner doesn't know? Or should the partner go with the jump ball signal if he doesn't know?
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 11:58pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z
8th grade games, years ago. Partner had called and canceled
so I was calling with the varsity coach. Ball goes out of bounds right in front of him. I had a pretty good look at the play but it was definitely his call. He blew the whistle but made no signal. I paused....nothing, so I pointed at him. He shrugged. I signaled blue (visitors)
ball. Home coach jumps up. "No, if you're not sure, that's gotta be a jump ball." I told him that I was sure enough. We talked about it later and he restated his position that if I wasn't 100% sure it should be a jump ball. I told him that if one waited to be 100% sure, nobody would ever call anything. We took this discussion one step farther. There are surely a lot more fouls that are committed and not called than fouls called that were not fouls, right? He agreed. That, I told him, is why I don't mind calling a foul when a player "reaches in" (ouch)
or whatever, even if I can't be absolutely certain of the contact. He disagreed here. Nope, can't do that. What does everybody think about this? I see games where it seems that the only call is jump ball after 2 players wrestle each other to the ground. I have learned over the years that there are many things that you can play through, but I don't think that my game will ever be totally without
educated guesses.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 22, 2003, 02:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
[/B]
Home coach jumps up. "No, if you're not sure, that's gotta be a jump ball." I told him that I was sure enough. We talked about it later and he restated his position that if I wasn't 100% sure it should be a jump ball. I told him that if one waited to be 100% sure, nobody would ever call anything. We took this discussion one step farther. There are surely a lot more fouls that are committed and not called than fouls called that were not fouls, right? He agreed. That, I told him, is why I don't mind calling a foul when a player "reaches in" (ouch)
or whatever, even if I can't be absolutely certain of the contact. He disagreed here. Nope, can't do that. What does everybody think about this? [/B][/QUOTE]Sorry,JAR,but I agree with the coach.
1)If you aren't 100% sure,it's a jump ball.
2)If you're not certain of the contact,it's not a foul.
3)If you're not sure of ANY call,don't make the call.

As officials,we're supposed to be doing a fair and equitable job for both teams.In all of the cases that you cited,you have injected yourself into being a factor in the game,by awarding one team and thus penalizing the other team for something that may not have happened.The "fairer" option is always to call the jump ball if you're not sure which team should get it OOB,or let the play continue if you're not sure if there's really contact involved that is outside the rules.