The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
A1 drives the baseline, stops in front of B1 and fakes a shot. B1, (about a foot taller), jumps out of his socks and A1 draws big contact as he goes up for the real shot. Easy call, even B1's grandmother in the top row is nodding her head and smiling. As I report the foul coach B is saying "Come on ref, you anticipated that call. You can't give him that!"
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Smile

Thw word "stupidity" comes to mind.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Dan~
It's because they are biased. They have to be, it's just that some are worse than others. Every coach draws different lines of acceptability as does each official. Every once in a while you get a coach that has drawn his line way past reality. If he crosses your line you just have to move him back, one way or another.

One of my biggest improvements was the day that I realized that it doesn't make them a bad person, they just want their team to win. That realization gave me the ability to "T" a coach or player with much less emotion. It didn't change where I draw my lines, but when I was able to stay calm during a confrontation, everyone involved was able to crank it down a notch and I get through them much easier than I used to.

Blackhawk
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
Dan~
It's because they are biased.

Blackhawk
No! Ya think so?

Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Coaches feel they have to say something sometimes; it's their obligation as coach. I had a game last Friday. Tie game at the end of regulation, 9 secs left. A1 drives strong side right in front of me (Lead) and never tried to avoid B1 who was on the low block for the entire 9 seconds and never even flinched. Tweet, PC with moderate sell because it is end of tie game. After I finish reporting, coach asks me "was she set?" I replied, "Coach, that was the easiest call all night." He replied "Looked pretty close to me." He knew I had it right but he figured he had to say something. First possession by A in OT the same player did the same thing except it was my P's call this time. At that point the coach didn't say anything, just pulled her out of the game. A ended up winning by 2 in double OT (B missed an 8 foot shot on the baseline or as time expired or it would have been 3OT's or more. One of the best games I worked this year.

Mregor