The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 04, 2000, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I use FIBA two man rotation... The lead moves over as far as half-way through the lane and as far over as the three-point line to the left. Is this the same as two-man NF or NCAA (I have heard about this but is it used that often)

------------------
Old Fri Aug 04, 2000, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
First of all, the NF two man mechanics is in the NF mechanics manual you can order at NFHS.org. As far as I know, it is the only one published. FIBA may have one. You would know better than I though.

Second. The lead goes ballside when the ball is below the free throw line extended and settles. When, as a lead you go ball side, you have to rotate back to your side of the court as you are becoming the new trail. I just try to picture it as I have a rubber band that is anchored on the one side of the floor and it is always trying to pull me back.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2000, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Is any out there current on what is the proper two man rotation mechanic for the lead to rotate to ball side? Sinerio for Defensive Rebound and Fast Break downcourt: Since the lead made the floor Unbalanced, does he just rotate back over to Balance the Floor as he's picking up new Trail??? Does the Lead Administer all Free Throw now??? Where get a current 2 Man Mechanics guide???
Old Fri Aug 04, 2000, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

I don't know of any two-man rotation mechanics during an in-play live ball scenario. If there's a dead ball spot throw-in, then there could be a switch, depending on the spot. Regarding who administers free throws, it's my understanding that the new mechanics for this season will have lead administering all free throws.

Old Fri Aug 04, 2000, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

The lead should go to strong side when post players go to ball side. When ball goes to other end of court, the old lead(new trail) goes back to the side he came from.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2000, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

It may help in understanding the mechanic if you consider Why the Lead would cross over, What they then officiate, and therefore Where they will be positioned. This was the major focus of the camp I went to this summer, so let me relate their philosophy.

The purpose of crossing over is to officiate the low post when on the side opposite of where the Lead is primarily working. Without crossing over, the Lead will be straight-lined on the play. So you cross the lane and position yourself within a step of the lane, looking back into the key. Now you are positioned perfect to look between the low post and the defensive player. In this position you do not pick up responsibility for the portion on the court near the end line on the side that both officials are now standing. (And the Trail does not cross over to the other side.) The Lead's responsibility is still the other side, which is the direction you're facing.

The point is on a defensive rebound, you are no more than one step from the paint anyway, so crossing back to your side as you progress down the court as Trail is not a problem. Just don't get caught in the middle and close to the action if there is a steal, and the play is now running right over you.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2000, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing I'll add to Richard's analysis is that when you leave the side you started on as the lead to come strong side. Remember, to still officiate the weak side post area as you leave (if there are players there). You don't ever want to be so focused on going strong side that you have two players knock the hell out of each other on the weakside. Once you get strong side, make sure that you look back into the lane to reff the whole play. Things to consider when going strong side: (1) when you decide to go, GO!!! and (2) when you get there, remember eventually you have to come back, and (3) don't get caught in the middle of the paint. Strong side mechanics should be a part of the pre-game so you and your partner are both aware of situations that may dictate strong side coverage by the lead and also, who is responsible for what and where once the lead gets there.
Old Sun Aug 06, 2000, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I don't understand the mechanic your speaking of. If the ball goes out of bounds on the line you left you could be quite embarrassed if you can't make a call.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2000, 12:56am
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by MREUROREF:
Is any out there current on what is the proper two man rotation mechanic for the lead to rotate to ball side? Sinerio for Defensive Rebound and Fast Break downcourt: Since the lead made the floor Unbalanced, does he just rotate back over to Balance the Floor as he's picking up new Trail??? Does the Lead Administer all Free Throw now??? Where get a current 2 Man Mechanics guide???

Old Mon Aug 07, 2000, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by MOFFICIAL:
I don't understand the mechanic your speaking of. If the ball goes out of bounds on the line you left you could be quite embarrassed if you can't make a call.

This is where court coverage and court awareness and "feel for the game" comes in. You shouldn't go strong side just for the sake of going. Guidleines include ball on the wing at or below foul line extended, post play, overload of players to that side. Why shouldn't you go and help when there is an overload of players on your partner's sdie of the floor. If, while you're strong side, there is a skip pass back to the weakside, go back with ball. If there is ball reversal, shift back with the ball. Your not glued to the spot once you go strong side. Your only going to ref post play and then going back based on ball position. Quickness is a must! How many times do you see, on the strong side, a point guard, a wing player, a player in the corner, and a player posted up on the block shifted to the strong side with a lone offensive player on the weak side (a classic overload situation)? Then as the ball is passed to the post, the weak side official make a holding call on the defensive post player. How can you see it clearly? Aren't you making an assumption most of the time? You're looking at the back of the post!!! Wouldn't you be in a better position, not to mention a help to your partner, if you had come strong side and ref'd the post. If a skip pass is then thrown, bust your butt back across the lane with the ball and reff the play from normal positions. If the ball goes out of bounds, sure it's possible you might miss one but if you're moving with the ball and rotating back when you're supposed to, the chances of this are greatly reduced.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2000, 01:36pm
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden:
First of all, the NF two man mechanics is in the NF mechanics manual you can order at NFHS.org. As far as I know, it is the only one published. FIBA may have one. You would know better than I though.

Second. The lead goes ballside when the ball is below the free throw line extended and settles. When, as a lead you go ball side, you have to rotate back to your side of the court as you are becoming the new trail. I just try to picture it as I have a rubber band that is anchored on the one side of the floor and it is always trying to pull me back.

"test"
Old Mon Aug 07, 2000, 01:37pm
In Memoriam

quote:
Originally posted by JAdams:
I don't know of any two-man rotation mechanics during an in-play live ball scenario. If there's a dead ball spot throw-in, then there could be a switch, depending on the spot. Regarding who administers free throws, it's my understanding that the new mechanics for this season will have lead administering all free throws.

Old Mon Aug 07, 2000, 01:38pm
In Memoriam

quote:

Old Mon Aug 07, 2000, 01:38pm
In Memoriam

quote:

Old Mon Aug 07, 2000, 01:39pm
In Memoriam

quote: