The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

One of my partners tonight asked this question and we couldn't agree on an answer...

Can a free throw shooter, after receiving the ball reach across the line and touch the floor with his hand?

A player did this in my partners previous game so it sparked a discussion. He received the ball, then reached down and wiped the floor in front of him prior to shooting. A referee on the game called a violation. I tend to think that the shooter gained no advantage by doing this and therefore would have passed on it.

What do you guys think?
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:56am
certified Hot Mom tester

There is nothing in rule 9-1 that says this is a violation. It only mentions the shooters foot crossing the line.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't have called a violation even if the shooter wiped the debris away with his foot instead of his hand. As long as he got back behind the line before he shoots...play on!

Dude
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

RookieDude, I agree with you! No harm, no foul... but there are many who choose to interpret every rule by the letter of the law (and make some letters up as they go). We couldn't find anything in the rule book to address the situation, so we just discussed it without reaching a consensus.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 08:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bkiledad
RookieDude, I agree with you! No harm, no foul... but there are many who choose to interpret every rule by the letter of the law (and make some letters up as they go). We couldn't find anything in the rule book to address the situation, so we just discussed it without reaching a consensus.
bkiledad,
While looking through the rule book, don't forget to peruse the spirit and intent section.
mick