The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Hey...anybody see the Daytona 500?

I guess racing announcers like to "rip" racing officials, just like basketball announcers like to "rip" basketball officials!

BTW, what did you think about the Coors Light car getting a one lap penalty for going below the "yellow" line?
Hmmmmm, it is easier officiating from the "cheap" seats.

Dude
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

NASCAR has left themselves open for criticism for some of the things they've done in the past. I would compare it moreso to announcers criticizing the league, as opposed to the officals.

As far as Sterling's penalty, I think it's kind of a silly rule to begin with. But drivers were told in the drivers meeting if they went below the yellow line and passed, they get a stop and go. For once, they stuck to their guns.

BTW, what a sucky way to start the season.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
what a sucky way to start the season.
I am in no way, shape or form a NASCAR fan. But I've heard it said over and over that the Daytona 500 is NASCAR's "Superbowl". It's the event of the season. If that's really true, then (aside from the question of why your premier event is at the beginning of the season) how in the world can you NOT play it out to its conclusion?!?! Can anyone imagine the NFL ending the Superbowl in the 3rd quarter b/c of snow? For crying out loud, the World Series wasn't ended early, even when a city was devastated by an earthquake! Postpone for a day, and finish the race on Monday. The drivers aren't going to complain (except for Waltrip). They all want a chance to finish and win. And ratings would've been through the roof, since the entire northeast was stuck inside with nothing to do all day. As Mad Dog would say, "That's a bad job by NASCAR".

Just my two cents, as always.

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

...sorta like the all-star game ending in a tie
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

The rules don't make a distinction between the Daytona 500 and the New England 300. All races are the same. If the race goes past the half-way point, it can't be carried over to the next day. It's an official race, just like a baseball game that goes 6 innings.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

As stated below,

All other races (world wide) have just about this exact same rule.

The same rule has been in effect at Indy since 1919.

The rule maybe "sucky" but it is fair to not only all the drivers, owners, officials and fans it is also fair to the "next" race where cars (a different set of cars than those used at Daytona) are due in Thursday.

I do not remember this big a stink when the INDY 500 has been rained out short of completion.

Since I am affiliated with one of the teams I will now step down from my soap box.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2003, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All races are the same. If the race goes past the half-way point, it can't be carried over to the next day. It's an official race, just like a baseball game that goes 6 innings.
Then either it's a dumb rule or the officials at the track didn't try hard enough to do the right thing. If it's your premier event of the season, you ought to find a way to play it out to the end.

And while it's true that baseball allows for weather shortened games, how many World Series have been decided by a 6-inning game?

Chuck
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: As stated below,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
All other races (world wide) have just about this exact same rule.

The same rule has been in effect at Indy since 1919.

The rule maybe "sucky" but it is fair to not only all the drivers, owners, officials and fans it is also fair to the "next" race where cars (a different set of cars than those used at Daytona) are due in Thursday.

I do not remember this big a stink when the INDY 500 has been rained out short of completion.

Since I am affiliated with one of the teams I will now step down from my soap box.
Not all. F1 and the Le Mans series type cars run in the rain.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
All races are the same. If the race goes past the half-way point, it can't be carried over to the next day. It's an official race, just like a baseball game that goes 6 innings.
Then either it's a dumb rule or the officials at the track didn't try hard enough to do the right thing. If it's your premier event of the season, you ought to find a way to play it out to the end.

And while it's true that baseball allows for weather shortened games, how many World Series have been decided by a 6-inning game?

Chuck
I bet the Bosox wish 1 game had been. C'mon, it's that time again.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Chuck
Wow, a non-fan with no interest or knowledge in the sport making judgements about the rules of the sport. There's something ya almost never see...

Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Wow, a non-fan with no interest or knowledge in the sport making judgements about the rules of the sport. There's something ya almost never see...
I never said I didn't have any knowledge of the sport. I'm certainly not the most-knowledgable guy on the NASCAR circuit, but I know a lot of the basics: Get in car, turn left 800 times, crash, throw helmet at leader's car.

Chuck
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Get in car, turn left 800 times, crash, throw helmet at leader's car.

Chuck
I think you skipped a step:

Last minute trip to bathroom, get in car....

Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Chuck

Kinda sums up his officiating career,too,doesn't it?
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, JR's on a roll today! I'm gonna go hide for a few days!!!
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

BkBallRef

You are almost correct:

IRL, CART and F1 all race in the rain.

All three have the exact same rule:

If for "any reason" a race cannot be completed after 50% of the advertised distance the race is deemed complete.

No race can be suspended after the 1/2 way mark and be started on the next available date.