The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Had a HS ballgame this past Friday night in what has become one of the feature tournaments in our area. Always great fan turn out, on local TV etc. The match up was two of the higher ranked teams, one from our area of the state one from another section of the state. Myself and partner are both college officials and I feel well respected among our peers and coaches. Here's the situation. Game goes triple overtime! Fans are rocking, TV and radio announcers are rocking, just a great, great ballgame. Three secs left in the third OT and ...tweet..we have a shooting foul on a drive to the basket for the local team. Makes both FT's game over. Now, the next morning as VP for our local board, I get to go to our sectional meeting to pick up the playoff brackets and also pick up each schools list of preferred officals and non-preferred officials. Guess what? The coach of the visiting team from last night who is representing one of the sections, makes a comment to several people how her kids were homered last night. Her opinion, oh well, but now I take a look at her non-preferred list of officials and guess what? Two names that were on the list are now scratched off and my partner and me are now on it! I really could care less, but it just gauls me that we busted our a%# for the kids, gave them a fair game and the bottom line is that a coach loses sight that the game is for the kids, not her power trip. Thanks I feel better.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
This is exactly the reason that coaches should not have input into who will work post season.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
I was lucky enough to be doing a 8th grade boys game for one school on Friday night and the same school's 6th grade boys game on Saturday.

Friday night, the coach came after my partner and I because "we cost him the game"...notice we did not cost his TEAM or his KIDS the game...we cost HIM the game. Here's the situation....

4 secs left, his team has the ball in the front court. His kid drives the lane, gets grabbed. We call it. Not in the act of shooting. Not in the bonus. They have the ball on the side with .2 left, they lose. The kid told his coach he wasn't shooting but his coach was convinced he was shooting and he should be given two shots. The kid threw the ball at the hoop when he heard the whistle. Oh well...

The next day....two towns away, different coach/team....

The sixth grade team loses 35-34. The coach comes up to me (working alone) and says to me, "You see the score?! We lost by 1 and it was YOUR fault." He went up one side of me and down the other side, swearing, berating, and screaming at me in front of his team. I asked him, "which of the seven straight ft's did I miss? Which of the four missed lay ups in the second half were MY fault? Which of the three times did I dribble the ball off of my foot?" His contention was that I should I have seen a lane violation on the front end of a one and one. The shot went, so did the second. I was watching the rim and making sure no one clobbered anyone else. Their feet were not my main concern. Should they have been? Perhaps, but his team was also stepping in all game and I let it go. I also told him if I had called it, I would have had the other coach in my face. I called what I saw (as I have been told so often on this board!) but it lost him the game.

Any ideas on what to do in this situation in the future? I couldn't leave because I had another game in that gym right after it was over.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:05pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I echo Ron's comments.

I've recently (4 months) learned that in my area, coaches have dictated who is not able to officiate certain levels of ball.

It's apalling.

Mike
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:05pm
Administrator

First Rule of Sports Officiating: Coaches are idiots and jerks.

Second Rule of Sports Officiating: See the First Rule of Sports Officiating.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
dsturdy5,

Depending on the level of support from the league, (If you get any) I would right a letter to the league.

Too bad his team wasn't ahead by one at the end of regulation. You could have "T'd" (because you hadn't left the visual confines of the court) his butt and sent an opposing player to the line to potentially win the game..........

Remember there is a reason he/she is a 6th grade coach.

"Stupid is as stupid does"
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Thumbs down Harsh Words

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Easy on Mark. I've known my share of jerks, and some of them are coaches. Some are officials. But most jerks don't care enough about kids to be involved with them at all. I don't expect a loving relationship between coaches and officials, but if you are not going to show coaches some respect how on earth can you expect it back?
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Some coaches are idiots and jerks.IMO,the greater majority aren't.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

dsturdy5...

Disgusting. Apalling. Unacceptable.

These are 11 YEAR OLD CHILDREN. Follow it up, document everything, and don't stop until that coach is held accountable for his actions. His putrid behaviour (right in front of the kids) cannot go unchallenged.

Meantime, maybe MTD can amend his legislation to read "Coaches are sometimes idiots and jerks."

That kind of stuff still really pis**s me off, though.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by dsturdy5

Any ideas on what to do in this situation in the future? I couldn't leave because I had another game in that gym right after it was over.
Yeah. Stare at his pants then puke on his shoes.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsturdy5
You could blow your whistle as loud as possible right in his face and T his scrawny rear-end up!

May not make a difference in the game, but I work a rec league where a coach has to sit out one game if he gets 3 technicals in a season (and one game for every T after the third).

Kinda harsh, but they behave.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

NCAAREF ~

Some coaches are going to act like that. If you're in it long enough, you'll get black-balled somewhere. I'm not sure that it will ever change.

The good news is that the good, level headed coaches seem to have a way to straighten things out in the long run. Generally speaking, the better officials seem to rise to the top. I have yet to see a good official move directly to a high position in an organization for a long period without a few setbacks along the way. Keep your chin up and continue to work hard, and, as they say, this too will pass.

Blackhawk
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Mark, this ain't necessarily so. Take a look at the posts by some of the coaches who frequent this board -- for the most part, they know the rules and they make good comments. I have watched 1 of them coach and he did a heck of a job.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Pilo
This is exactly the reason that coaches should not have input into who will work post season.
Amen. And I'll go one step further. This is exactly the reason that coaches shouldn't have input to ratings for the regular season either.

Z