The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

What if...

After a held ball A5 throws an elbow at B5 but misses.
B5 immediately jumps in A5s face.

Dead ball double T.

Had B5 punched A5 instead, could we go double flagrant Ts as A5s initial unsporting act lead to the punch?
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

A5 and B5 are both gone.

4-18 Fighting
Art. 2 ... An attempt to instigate a fight by committing an unsporting act that causes a person to retaliate by fighting.

Tossing a deliberate elbow is an attempt to instigate a fight IMO which would cause a normal person to retaliate by fighting.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Ok, thats what I thought, whether the elbow connects or not is immaterial.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Ok, thats what I thought, whether the elbow connects or not is immaterial.
I feel like I should clarify...that if it's a deliberately thrown elbow, the player would be tossed anyhow...just like a thrown and missed punch. If a player throws an elbow that's unsporting but not to the level of getting tossed, and a player retaliates by fighting, then you'd toss both of them.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 09:38am
Huck Finn

I would say toss the player for the elbow (attempt) if it is judged to be deliberate. I would give the other player a technical foul.

This is my opinion without seeing the actual play and it could change depending on how severe "getting in the face" actually is.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I did not see the play either. Discussion with a buddy...
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 11:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

An elbow swing at the head, bye bye. A "get off me b1tch" elbow swung in the general direction, double T. Anything in between, the dreaded J word comes into play.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Agree w/ Snaq on this one. Unfortunately when our judgement comes into play, the greater the reaction of the offended to the initial play, the greater the penalty for both.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 01:35pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
An elbow swing at the head, bye bye. A "get off me b1tch" elbow swung in the general direction, double T. Anything in between, the dreaded J word comes into play.
I pose this question to spark debate - I wasn't there so I cannot say what I would do for sure.

Do you think a double technical foul is the path of least resistance and we would like to go there when we shouldn't because they would offset?
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 04:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I pose this question to spark debate - I wasn't there so I cannot say what I would do for sure.

Do you think a double technical foul is the path of least resistance and we would like to go there when we shouldn't because they would offset?
Not sure I understand the question. I think it's wholly appropriate to go double when the second player retaliates. The hole is in the rules.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 06:19pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Not sure I understand the question. I think it's wholly appropriate to go double when the second player retaliates. The hole is in the rules.
Are you saying a missed elbow and the other player getting up in the other player's face are equal and warrant a penalty that becomes administrative (double technicals) for the most part?

I still may not be clear, but I'm not sure if the two things warrant a double T. If two players are going at each other a square off, Charlie Range used to always say, "If you go in to get in between two players come out with a double technical". I'm not sure that applies to a missed elbow and then they square off. Again, seeing the play matters.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 08:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm saying both acts, individually, deserve technical fouls. The rules dictate a double foul at that point. I agree they're not equal, but the rules are the same. I dont think it's particularly "fair" but the same is true for those two fouls if they were committed an hour apart. How would you propose addressing it? Toss the elbow thrower and a standard T for the one who reacts verbally?
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 08:39pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
How would you propose addressing it? Toss the elbow thrower and a standard T for the one who reacts verbally?

Unless I'm missing something, yes. Using your example, if those things happen an hour apart, wouldn't you toss one player and give the other a T? I could be missing something; my brain is pretty fried right now.
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hyperbole ...

Quote:
My brain is pretty fried right now.
Your brain is fried? Here in my little corner of Connecticut, it's 147 °F in the shade.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jul 22, 2011, 10:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, yes. Using your example, if those things happen an hour apart, wouldn't you toss one player and give the other a T? I could be missing something; my brain is pretty fried right now.
I don't know. I was thinking of a regular T on the elbow. No reason you couldn't toss the elbow and T the talker if you think the elbow deserves the pine.