Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Question

NCAA Rule 10 Fouls and Penalties
Section 5 - Direct Technical Foul for Unsporting Player Conduct
Article 3 * Purposely obstructing an opponent's vision by waving or placing hand(s) near his or her eyes.

NFHS Rule 10 Fouls and Penalties
Section 3 - Player Technical
Article 8 * Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:
c. Obstructing the vision of an opponent not in control of the ball by waving hands near his/her eyes.
Note: Purposely diverting an opponent's attention by waving is different than holding or waving the hands near the opponent's eyes for the express purpose of obstructing the vision so that he/she cannot catch the ball.

Here's my concern:
These two are saying very different things. In NCAA, is it a technical to put a hand in the shooter/player in control of ball/dribbler's face/eyes, but legal to do so in NFHS since it says "opponent NOT IN CONTROL OF THE BALL?"

I've never seen this called in a game, but I have seen defenders reach out with their arms and place their hand(s) right in a shooter's face/eyes.

Also, what is the "NOTE" (NFHS) trying to get us to understand? If anyone can help me out, I'd be grateful. Thanks!
--TGR
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'm playing D in the post:
I MAY wave my hand in the passing lane to distract the passer and the receiver of the ball.
I MAY NOT play defense by staying behind the offensive post player and wrapping my arm around his head and holding my hand in front of his eyes so that he can't see the ball.

You don't see it called b/c players don't do it.