The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

OK, we've discussed embarassing moments and quick witted come-backs, how about big mistakes we can all learn from (moral stories). I'll stick my neck out and be first.

Girls HS State Semi-finals .
One team wearing red and white.
One team wearing white and red.
Both teams wearing even numbers.

Early in the fourth quarter, Team B is in a half court trap. A2 (#12 Red) comes to help A1 who has dribbled into a trap. She sets an illegal screen on B1 (#12 White), who subsquently falls into, and displaces the dribbler A1.

I, thankfully, see the illegal screen, blow, and go to the table across the floor (college size). I report the foul ~"Red, One, Two, Block, One & One" ~ give the proper signals and turn back to the floor. To my dismay, I see my partner has both teams on the wrong side of the floor, with the dribbler, A1, lined up to shoot the 1&1. (Insert "red faced" icon)

I had to go to my partner, explain what I called and move to the other side of the floor and put B1 (# 12 White) who everyone thought was the offending player, on the line for the 1&1. At that point it seemed the entire attendence of the Fieldhouse were fans of the Red team.

Moral: COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE, COMMUNICATE!
Make SURE your partner knows what you called BEFORE you leave the spot of the foul.

Blackhawk
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I've already posted about this, so I won't rehash the story, but the moral of my season (along with about 6 Big East officials) this year is "Count the players!"
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 04:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I've already posted about this, so I won't rehash the story, but the moral of my season (along with about 6 Big East officials) this year is "Count the players!"
Yup-- 1,2,3,4,4,5!
OK,let's go!
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357

Both teams wearing even numbers.

Blackhawk
Is this random chance, or does this mean something in some places?
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

hawkk ~ In the "old days" the visiting uniforms were all dark in color with odd numbers, home uniforms were light in color with even numbers.

Geeze, was it that long ago? Guess I am getting old.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

It has been a while, and you ARe showing your age!
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 05:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
hawkk ~ In the "old days" the visiting uniforms were all dark in color with odd numbers, home uniforms were light in color with even numbers.

Geeze, was it that long ago? Guess I am getting old.
Nope. Graduated HS in '92, and that's how we did it. Most of the HS games I did this year (9th and 10th) worked the same way. I'd say all, but I don't know that for sure (didn't pay that close attention.)

snaqs
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I never heard of that odd/even thing. I graduated HS in (gulp) '84 and I was #31 at home and on the road. This is the first time I've even heard about it. Wierd

Chuck
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Interesting. I played in the early 80's -- same light and dark (though we occaisonally got grief b/c our light jerseys were light blue), but we wore the same numbers home and away (except for some of the JV players, as we used old V sets, and some of the shirts were missing . . . ) I wonder if it was a regional thing.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

The school I coach at has that numbering system also, Even at home and odd on the road. The only reason I can think of it would be to avoid teams having similar colors and the same numbers.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 12:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
The school I coach at has that numbering system also, Even at home and odd on the road. The only reason I can think of it would be to avoid teams having similar colors and the same numbers.
That way, instead of having to call blue and aqua, we can call "even" and "odd."