The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I know that I have seen this discussed before, but can't remember the resolution. One of my players parents reported this incident from a rec game he was coaching. 2 point game, 1 minute to play (the situations where you really hope you get it right).

Team A gets fouled, it is B's 7th foul, A should be in bonus, table fails to note and/or communicate this fact to the officials. A gets spot throw-in, B steals ball, goes down and scores to tie game. A inbounds and gets fouled yet again. At this point, the table lets the refs know that the last foul should have put B in the bonus. Can B shoot two 1&1s right now? I have this as the second dead ball after the error, therefore not correctable.

In this game, I guess the refs called it correctable, allowed a total of 4 FTs, and A went on to win.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 10 CORRECTABLE ERRORS
ART. 1 . . . Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in:

a. Failure to award a merited free throw.
b. Awarding an unmerited free throw.
c. Permitting a wrong player to attempt a free throw.
d. Attempting a free throw at the wrong basket.
e. Erroneously counting or canceling a score.

ART. 2 . . . In order to correct any of the officials' errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.

Somebody puke on that ref's shoes!!!
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

As I understand it, a correctable error must be corrected during the first dead ball following the clock properly starting after the mistake was made. (Slightly different situation for incorrectly counting or canceling a score, but this isn't that situation)

The clock started when A's throw-in was touched on the floor. The ball became dead following the basket by B. The foul against A is the second dead ball.

That sounds like it is no longer correctable to me.

It's rule 2.10, but I don't have my book with me to quote from.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

So then should the table have blown the horn after the basket to inform the officials of the error? I worked as a timer for a long time and I was told never to blow the horn after a made basket except after free throws to get subs in.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 04:04pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
So then should the table have blown the horn after the basket to inform the officials of the error? I worked as a timer for a long time and I was told never to blow the horn after a made basket except after free throws to get subs in.
Yes! If the table knows, blow the horn...if the coach runs up to the table, blow the horn...we need to know before it's too late (which it was in the original post)...
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
This is why timers and scorers should be provided a rule book and (possibly) be required to take a test before the season . . .
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

A lot of times we will see a couple of students working the table. I'm just glad if they are paying attention to the game.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
ART. 2 . . . In order to correct any of the officials' errors listed in Article 1, such error must be recognized by an official during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started.

Somebody puke on that ref's shoes!!!
Ask and ye shall receive....