The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
JR, I mean I literally won't see it. My partner and I will be off the floor already. So no, I won't penalize those actions. That's for game management to deal with. And even if I did see a coach give the "choke" sign, I'd probably just flip him off and keep running.

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 11:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
And even if I did see a coach give the "choke" sign, I'd probably just flip him off and keep running.
Well,that's obviously your decision to make,all the way,Chuck.Personally,if a player or coach does something extremely unsportsmanlike(in my opinion)like swear at me or start using sign language,then I'm gonna come back and deal with it.Much as I might like to,I'd never dream of flipping off a coach in a situation like this.If you do,then the next thing that you know is that a report might be going in on you.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 13th, 2003 at 10:18 AM]
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Much as I might like to,I'd never dream of flipping off a coach in a situation like this.
Well, the flipping off part was a joke. I just neglected the smiley. I would never actually do that either.

But I meant the rest of it. I don't want to be in the position of bringing teams back on the court after the game is over. (Yes, I know the game's not over until we leave the visual confines. . .) So, I will take myself out of the situation as fast as I can. If I never see the "choke" sign, I can't penalize it. My partner and I will be off the floor before the coach gets the chance to do anything stupid.

Chuck
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I understand what Chuck is saying. It's the same philosophy as making sure the players know that you are about to come onto the floor 15 minutes prior to the start. You just don't want to start a game with a "T" for dunking.

On the other hand, if the opposing coach knows you see it, there's likely going to be a "T" one way or the other. I'd just as soon give it to the player for the dunk.

By the same token, I like to leave the floor after a game as quickly as possible, too. But I can guarentee you that if it is a flagrant act, and I have a good look at it, I'm not going to run away.

BTW Chuck, I'm glad the flipping off thing was a joke

Blackhawk
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Trigger
I never said that you always shoot the FTs. I just said you may wish to assess the T even if you won't shoot them, and always should if it is a violent act that you witness. shooting the Ts depends on whether or not it will matter.

Another question. You are reffing in an AAU tournament, it is pool play, point differential will determine who advances. Knowing that point diferential matters, would you allow a team to shoot a post game T that does not affect the game outcome but may affect which team advances to the elimination round?

You do not know there is an impact, but you know there may be an impact.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Trigger
I never said that you always shoot the FTs. I just said you may wish to assess the T even if you won't shoot them, and always should if it is a violent act that you witness. shooting the Ts depends on whether or not it will matter.

Another question. You are reffing in an AAU tournament, it is pool play, point differential will determine who advances. Knowing that point diferential matters, would you allow a team to shoot a post game T that does not affect the game outcome but may affect which team advances to the elimination round?

You do not know there is an impact, but you know there may be an impact.
The standard rules don't provide for shooting unless it affects the outcome of the game -- seems to me that is binding unless the tournament elects to adopt a different rule. (Heck, if I was running a tournament like that, I might have each T count as negative points in the differential . . .)