The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Referee bounces the ball to a free throw shooter. The free throw shooter fumbles the ball into the lane and steps over the foul line to retrieve the ball.

Is this a violation?

If so then what are the penalties on different free throw shooting situations? 1 shot, 2 shots, 1 and 1, techs, etc?
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 06:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
Referee bounces the ball to a free throw shooter. The free throw shooter fumbles the ball into the lane and steps over the foul line to retrieve the ball.

Is this a violation?

If so then what are the penalties on different free throw shooting situations? 1 shot, 2 shots, 1 and 1, techs, etc?
The suggested procedure is for the official to blow their whistle,and re-administer the FT.See casebook play9.1.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Yes, this is the suggested case book way of handling the situation. However, I don't like it, and think that it is inconsistent. For example, we don't do this on a throw-in.
Once the player catches the ball, if he loses it, that's his fault and there should be consequences.

Comically, if a teammate in a marked lane-space is able to reach into the lane, without breaking the plane with his feet, and knock the ball back, or pick it up and pass it back, to the free-thrower, it would not be a violation!
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Ouch!

Had the sitch where my my "experienced" partner called the violation on a 7-8-9 year old girl.

This led to the coach griping which lead to an ugly and IMO unnecessary tech on the coach. (1st one I've seen this season). I was real uncomfortable with the call but supported my partner.

Maybe he was just having a bad day.

But he was correct on the no more than 2 touches by a center jumper as posted in "Taps".

Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Yes, this is the suggested case book way of handling the situation. However, I don't like it, and think that it is inconsistent. For example, we don't do this on a throw-in.
Once the player catches the ball, if he loses it, that's his fault and there should be consequences.

I've thought about that before, but I think the NFHS realizes that a "free throw" is a reward for a previous play and should not be taken away for an unintentional drop of the ball. If we're on our toes, we can blow our whistle as soon as the ball is fumbled away before the thrower steps over the line therefore there is no violation.

I believe that the NFHS also realizes that there is defense being played on a throw-in so an unintentional drop where the ball rolls onto the floor is then penalized (tight coverage could have caused the inbounder to get flustered and drop it).

Z
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 01:49pm
Esteemed Participant

You can't have a violation until the shooter has possession/control of the ball...so by fumble, are you referring to the player not catching the ball cleanly when bounced to him/her? If so, no violation...if we are talking about the kid who catches the ball, dribbles it twice, then looks at hoop while holding ball in both hands, then dribbles a third time and it goes off his/her foot and h/she steps over the line - well, that's a different story...
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

True, you can't have a violation until the shooter has it cleanly. But if you check the case book, you'll also realize that don't call a violation even if the free thrower bounces it off his/her foot while bouncing it before the free throw.

Z
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Ok,

It is my opinion that it is still not deemed a violation even in the example where the shooter gets the ball, dribbles and then dribbles AGAIN off his foot.

It is the equivalant of a "do over."

Again, I suggest that officials learn what battles need to be fought and when we need to be part of a bigger picture.