The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

This is really just a vent, but if anyone has any suggestions on how better to handle the sitch, feel free. ...and I know you will

With about 3 minutes left in a high school varsity girls game with the visitors making a charge to get within about 10, V(visitors)1 drives towards the hoop on a semi-fast break. I am C and she is on my side of the lane, we have major contact on the block and have a double whistle. In my opinion, the defense had great position and I would have ruled it a charge, but my partner quickly signals 'block', so I let him have the call, no biggie. I am cleaning up the bodies on the floor, making sure they get up nicely and then I go to lead to administer the free throws. Partner reports 'two shots', this is where the sheet hits the fan, V coach says the ball went in. My two partners huddle and the best we can come up with is the guy that called the foul, 'didn't have it going in'. The other partner asks the table personnel(home) and they all say 'it didn't go'. They look at me, and I have nothing to offer, didn't see it as I was watching the bodies, which is what I told the coach when he asked me "three of you out here and nobody knows?". She hit both free throws and the closest they got was six. The coach went on for about three trips up and down, before we had a dead ball and he started on it again and I said "coach, let it go please". Before the boys game some radio personnel came down to the table and said it rolled off the front of the rim, no good, so we were somewhat relieved, though, I told them the point is that we didn't know. I will know probably Monday for sure, but just trying to learn from the sitch, so it doesn't happen again.
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Once had a similiar situation. Rebound, ball going the other way, I'm T opposite. Old T has took off down the floor to become the new lead, C is tableside. Ball is stolen, tableside, foul call by C, continuation. C reports foul, signals 2. Other partner who was beyond the division line runs in and sasy basket went. C doesn't think so, but T is adamant. I didn't think it went but wasn't looking, since I'm not suppose to be looking anyway. I watching the wreck under the basket. C counts the basket, visiting (fouling) team, coach, and fans go nuts. I'm pretty sure we missed it. Visitors win anyway.

Two days later, we see the tape. Shot didn't go, was rebounded by H2 who flipped it back in. Partner who was beyond the division line, turned and saw the ball just as it entered the basket.

He wrote a letter of apology to the coach. No hard feelings.

Bottom line - It happens. But with three of us out there, either the T or the C have GOT to know.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Whoa, kind of a tough one. In 3-person, no excuse for SOMEONE not watching the hoop, but we've all been there.

No biggie...
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I had a simmilar incident last night at a varsity boys game
Large crowd very noisy, my partner who is on the lead calls
a foul on an attemptd 3 in the deep left corner. I see the ball is short so I freeze and am watching the area around where the foul was commited as that is where most of the players were in my field of vision. After a few seconds there is a commotion under the basket and I went over and just began getting everyone lined up for free throws. I asked a player where the ball is and he told me that he rebounded the ball from the shot, lost control of it and it bounced out of his hands on to the floor went up behind the backboard and on to the balcony just behind the backboard.
Of course everyone in the gym saw what happended including the visiting coach (home team player was the kid involved)
and of course he wanted a "T". This is a very closr game and
the home team is in a 3 way tie for first and the visitors are in 2nd place. I go over and explain that neather I or my partner saw what happened nor did I hear the ball strike the floor as it was just too loud in the gym. He took me at my word as I have worked numerous games for both coaches and we went about finnishing up the game.
I will view the game tapes asap to see what I missed, it is just hard to bieleve what we sometimes miss in these games
Carl
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ron
Kind of a humourous spin on the situation.......

Last weekend, I was working a game, using 2 man mechanics. I'm the trail, and A1 attempts a shot from the key, and is fouled. The ball doesn't go in, and my partner (lead) calls the foul. (My partner is friends with the coach of team A). My partner reports the foul, and Coach A says "The basket counts, right?". My partner says, in a loud, clear voice, "Yes, two points!". Coach A then says, "Um, (partner's name), the ball didn't go in".