The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

A few officials got together last night and had a debate about who does a throw-in on a sideline in front court.

Trail on opposite side of Lead in front court. Lead has a ball go OOB on his line above the free throw line extended.

Does the Lead step up to administer the Throw in, thus causing a switch, or does the Trail go over to administer the Throw in, even though it was the Lead's line?

I've done it both ways...depending on how we pre-game it.
Would like to know the correct procedure, if there is one, so as not to get marked down in the post season.

Also, I usually have the Lead bounce pass to a player from the endline if the ball is OOB, frontcourt, on the sideline below the free throw line extended.

Dude
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

I depends on what court coverage scheme you are using. This is from the Referee Magazine / NASO book, Basketball Officials Manual....

The NFHS Manual states, "If the designated spot is above the free throw line extended, the lead official administering the throw in will now become the new trail. The original trail becomes the new lead". Basically, you switch when the spot is above the fee throw line extended. If below the free throw line extended, the lead remains the lead and bounces the ball to the thrower. Note that this is per NFHS manual.

However, Referee Magazine recommends a different court coverage scheme where the trail has all the normal lines plus the sideline opposite trail above the free throw line extended. Their reasoning for this is that it is the Trail's primary area but if the lead has to watch that sideline above the free throw line, no one is watching off ball when the ball is out high. They recommend that for sideline coverage, the lead only have the baseline and the sideline opposite trail up to the free throw line extended except when the pass originates from the lane area to a player above the free throw line. (You really got to get the book to understand it better). If you go with this court coverage, the lead would administer all throw ins below the free throw line extended and the trail would come over and administer the throw in on the sideline above the free throw line extended. The lead would then move opposite to properly box in the play. The benefit of this court coverage is better off ball coverage but you do give up some sidline coverage. They (and I agree) believe it is a better to sacrifice some sidline in favor of the better off ball coverage.

Whichever you choose should depend on what coverage you've been using all along throughout the season. Good Luck!

Mregor

Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

In NFHS games we do it by the book which means that there is a switch. I can't think of any other times that we switch other than a foul can you? If I'm lead and the ball goes OOB on "my line" above the foul line, I'm most not likely going to see who touched it last because I was probably looking off ball. I blow the whistle and raise my arm and look at my partner for help (we pregame this). Once I signal, then I go become the new trail and administer the throw-in.

Z
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 11:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
A few officials got together last night and had a debate about who does a throw-in on a sideline in front court.

Trail on opposite side of Lead in front court. Lead has a ball go OOB on his line above the free throw line extended.

Does the Lead step up to administer the Throw in, thus causing a switch, or does the Trail go over to administer the Throw in, even though it was the Lead's line?

I've done it both ways...depending on how we pre-game it.
Would like to know the correct procedure, if there is one, so as not to get marked down in the post season.

Also, I usually have the Lead bounce pass to a player from the endline if the ball is OOB, frontcourt, on the sideline below the free throw line extended.

Dude
Dude,

Rule of thumb, administer your line.

In my games, when the Trail is near the top of the key, the Trail will often administer the throw-in, while the Lead switches sides. If the Trail is free-throw line extended, then Trail will drop down.

This is similar in philosophy to a bump-and-run.

mick

Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 02:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I had varsity boys 100 miles away Thursday, worked Friday, and had varsity girls Friday about 50 miles away.

Imagine my energy level working 6 rec ball games yesterday.

I worked games starting at 10, 11, 12, 1, 2, and 3. My favorite rec ball partner worked the games at 1, 2, and 3. He isn't my favorite because of his mechanics or officiating ability, but because he's a genuinely nice guy who's fun to work with.

But he was killing me at the end of the third game. My feet hurt and I had blisters forming. He has this habit of not bumping and running -- in other words, he'll call a travel right in front of his face and then take the ball for the throw in, while I run from lead to lead. And he calls a lot of travels for youth rec ball

Finally, after a travel I bumped and told him he was killing me. He laughed and ran -- but only that time.

Most top officials here give the boundary line above the free throw line on the lead's side to the trail, as Referee recommends in their book. Then again, I'm in Wisconsin, the home of Referee, so that might not be a coincidence.

I'd rather work the lines all the way up, like the NFHS manual says, but I'm flexible and will work whatever is more comfortable for my partner.

Rich
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you very much for your replys concerning these throw ins.
It's pretty much just as I thought, you can go by the NFHS manual, which I prefer, or by the Referee magazine, which I can do if my partner is adament about it.
Thanks again,
Dude
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

See diagram 22 on page 34 of the officials manual for the NFHS correct way to do this.