The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Question

B1 scores a basket, and the ball rolls out near the free throw line. A1 picks it up, and throws the ball to A2, who is standing OOB to catch the ball, and then throw it in. However, the ball bounces off A2's hands or chest or whatever (no possession) to B1 in the court of play, and B1 scores another basket.

Do you blow the whistle, wave off the basket, and give team A a throw-in? Must the inbounder have possession? Or is B1's second basket good?
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 11:25am
In Memoriam

Blow the whistle,wave off the 2nd. B basket,and then let A re-do the throw-in(and run the end line,too).Rule that the ball was never truly at the disposal of team A for the throw in.That's the purpose and intent of the rule.It's similar to the case of a free thrower fumbling the ball when the administering official tosses it to him.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Blow the whistle,wave off the 2nd. B basket,and then let A re-do the throw-in(and run the end line,too).Rule that the ball was never truly at the disposal of team A for the throw in.That's the purpose and intent of the rule.It's similar to the case of a free thrower fumbling the ball when the administering official tosses it to him.
I believe the original post was that A1 picked up the ball and threw it to A2 OOB. In that case the ball was never truly at the disposal of team A is not true.

I think you let the play go. A was in posession of the ball and fumbled it on to the court. We (as officials) can protect them only so much. This seems to me like a physical/mental mistake that we can't prevent.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Lighten up, Francis. I'm definitely with JR on this one. Any ref who doesn't blow that back would be asking himself every year, "Whay do I keep getting assigned Middle School games?"
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 11:58am
Jerry Blum

I'm in agreement with JR and Barry. There is no way that the 2nd basket by B should be allowed to count because the ball was never at the disopsal of A2 out of bounds. I would think the best way to think about this situation is to think about when you would start your 5 sec count. Personally I start it when A would have posession and be standing OOB. It makes no sense to me to start this count when A1 grabs the ball at the free throw line because he can't inbound the ball from that position.

Just some of my thoughts on this, and i would definetly blow it dead, wave off the 2nd basket and redo the inbounds with A being allowed to run the base line.

Jerry
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I'm starting to get worried about me.

My mistake guys/gals. I misread the original post, didn't see the part about "rolling out to the FT line". I thought A1 was standing out of bounds with the ball and threw it to a teammate already OOB along the baseline.

Please forgive me and don't hold it against me in any future posts. I guess I should be reading my own slogan, huh?!?

Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Barry, you just made the list. . .

I agree that you blow it dead and wave off the basket. While it may technically be true that the ball was at the disposal of Team A (it was available for a throw-in and there had been no delay), the ball was never controlled by the inbounder. In the vast majority of throw-ins, the inbounder holds the ball while standing OOB and the inbounder for A never did have control of the ball before the alleged "throw-in". And that's exactly what I would say to B's coach if he said anything. "Coach, he never had the ball OOB".

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Barry, you just made the list. . .

Chuck
Pray tell, What List?

Hey Viking, Don't worry about it. We all have those senior moments sometimes, regardless of age.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Barry,

You were quoting Sgt. Hulka from Stripes, and Chuck was quoting "Francis" from the same movie. As for you, your cousin, and that sheep...well...keep that to yourself.

Dave

[Edited by MN BB Ref on Feb 11th, 2003 at 11:33 AM]
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
How can you say "Lighten up, Francis" and not know what "the list" is?!?!

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool The Aunt Jemima treatment!!

Does this mean that MN BB Ref is a "Lean, mean, reffing machine?"
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Duh!! Sorry, Uncle Hulka, your big toe, is a little slow on the uptake today.

One of my favorite lines, which I use everytime I stumble, is: Corporal, have that removed.