The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Please disregard the following post, it is a lengthy dissertation; I am just "Venting!"
--------------------------------
Let me just say this was one of those games that I knew in advance "get in, get done, get out", and it surely does not make me proud to have been a part of it.
--------------------------------

Boys JV: (White is significantly athletically superior)

Red Coach (V): "Howler monkey"
White Coach (H): classy, rules knowledgeable coach

Partner (P): one of the weakest officials in our area, AND he had NO interest in a pregame, even though he did arrive 10 minutes early.

Table crew: solid! (Amen for that)
-----------------------
Icky Game Situations
(too numerous to list all, but here is a sampling...)

V's first offensive possession, My P whistles a 3-second violation just as a long 3-pt attempt bangs off the rim. Even the H coach gasped when he heard my P announce the violation. Sadly, I knew this was the first of many 3-second violations (he called at least 7) and other questionable calls by my P.

Not totally sure what happened on this as I was the L, but I think a dribble rolled off the foot of the defender near the intersection of the FT extended and 3-pt arc right in front of P. P whistles, then pauses (blank look at me) I shake my head and shrug my shoulders to indicate I did not see it. Then comes over and very overtly asks, "What do we do?"

My thought was, "Ask you to leave and I will call the rest of the game alone!", but I bit my lip and signaled "held ball". V coach states (loud enough to be heard) "We'll be doing that a lot tonight."

As L, I called a routine personal foul on the defender who swiped through the shooterÂ’s wrists. I am already holding my fingers up to indicate 2 shots and P charges in flailing his arms waist high (like he is calling "safe" in baseball) and is announcing "no shot."

I do have one positive thing to say about my P, he DID NOT use the foul tip signal at all tonight.

Long story made short.... P just does not have a feel for the game and because of this he called 2 Ts on players that could have easily been handled with a little preventative officiating.

After the game (in officials locker room), I attempted to diplomatically offer some constructive feedback, but all the P wanted to do was grumble that he had not been hired for the local tourney games tomorrow (6th grade boys).

I openly admit I am NOT perfect, but after surviving tonight's game it was evident that I have come a long way since my first game a few years ago. Wait, I cannot imagine that I was at this level, ever.

Additional info: I had been ill throughout the day (3 times; (insert BsktBallRef's signature animated gif here) and notified the assigner 3 hrs prior to the game to inform him of same and encouraged him to replace me if he had a sub available. I am sure some of my queasiness was related to my anticipation of this less than acceptable game situation.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Additional info: I had been ill throughout the day (3 times; ) and notified the assigner 3 hrs prior to the game to inform him of same and encouraged him to replace me if he had a sub available. I am sure some of my queasiness was related to my anticipation of this less than acceptable game situation.
If it's like it is here, nobody can close out or cancel on Fridays, since there are so many games.

Hope you feel better.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Wink

..same in my area of Texas..we are sooo short handed, that if you can walk, you had better call....
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

You should have puked on your partner.

It would have made your stomach feel better, and he would have deserved it.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
You should have puked on your partner.
Yeah! Then you should stared at his pants and laughed!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith