The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   3 to 2 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/73572-3-2-a.html)

tref Wed Jun 29, 2011 09:27am

3 to 2

Are any other States going back to or have gone back to 2 person? If so, did your association just take it or did they try to fight it?

I know we arent a union but we are independent contractors. It seems like if nobody worked 2 person games, something would have to give!

I see 3 options:

1. Every varsity official declines 2 person games.

2. Individually decline 2 person games or block those particular schools in Arbiter.

3. Dont enter the draw & pick up whatever open varsity games you wish to work.

Thoughts?

Raymond Wed Jun 29, 2011 09:44am

Here that is negotiated between the conferences and the officials associations that service them. The state doesn't control it.

All regional and state play-off game are 3-man.

tref Wed Jun 29, 2011 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 769410)
Here that is negotiated between the conferences and the officials associations that service them. The state doesn't control it.

All regional and state play-off game are 3-man.

Same here
... I just meant any States other than Colorado going through this?

Adam Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 769412)

Same here
... I just meant any States other than Colorado going through this?

We are?

tref Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:22am

From what I hear, you guys are good to go down south. A couple of leagues here in the Metro area are going the cheap route :rolleyes:

Adam Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 769428)
From what I hear, you guys are good to go down south. A couple of leagues here in the Metro area are going the cheap route :rolleyes:

Last year they asked to drop to 2 for JV games but we rearranged the pay scale.

Raymond Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 769428)

So it's not a state mandated thing. Some conferences are deciding to make that move? :confused:

tref Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:59am

Yes, I'm trying to find out if any other associations faced & overcame this. If so, how did they go about it?

Raymond Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 769436)
Yes, I'm trying to find out if any other associations faced & overcame this. If so, how did they go about it?

Once a contract is signed it would seem pretty hard to fight it. So I would the think battle needs to be fought in the contract negotiations between the conference and association.

But then, if there are other organizations in the area who would agree to those terms then the battle would be futile.

tref Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 769448)
Once a contract is signed it would seem pretty hard to fight it. So I would the think battle needs to be fought in the contract negotiations between the conference and association.

But then, if there are other organizations in the area who would agree to those terms then the battle would be futile.

There it is! The assignors needed to fight this when the ADs presented it.

Although we will all complain, I doubt that we as a group, would decline those type of assignments.
So I guess my only 2 options are to tell the assignors, "if it aint 3, don't pick me!" Or simply decline 2 person games as they are assigned.

The main ones that cry about consistency want to run 2s in the regular season & 3s in the post-season :rolleyes:

bainsey Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:47pm

Some background, tref. Are you saying all games (regular season, tourney) in your area are 3-man? Does this go for all levels?

tref Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 769451)
Some background, tref. Are you saying all games (regular season, tourney) in your area are 3-man? Does this go for all levels?

For the most part all 5A & 4A Varsity games were 3 person last season. The only lower level 3 person games were part of JV/V doubleheaders at small schools.

Adam Wed Jun 29, 2011 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 769454)
For the most part all 5A & 4A Varsity games were 3 person last season. The only lower level 3 person games were part of JV/V doubleheaders at small schools.

An hour south, all V games (with one exception that I know of at a small charter school) are 3. 4 and 5A JV are 3 also.

tref Wed Jun 29, 2011 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 769462)
An hour south, all V games (with one exception that I know of at a small charter school) are 3. 4 and 5A JV are 3 also.

Some guys have all the luck!

JRutledge Wed Jun 29, 2011 01:48pm

Playoffs crews are decided by the state, so they are not going to likely change this anytime soon. The cat has been too far out of the bag and it is going on 15 years of 3 Person for all games in the post season being that way. Conferences/schools/tournaments decide if there is a push to go back to 2 person for their regular season games and I do not see that push going back either. I really do not see this happening at this point. It would change too much of the game to make this happen and I would see them make other provisions. Also officiating fees are not the biggest fee for schools and they might change other things before it would come to this.

Peace