The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 03, 2000, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

A while back, Mark Padgett mentioned the book "Calling the Shots: My Five Decades In the NBA" by Earl Strom. I located a copy (it is out of print) and read it this weekend. It is really a great read for anyone interested in officiating.

If any of you have read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of Strom's points of view. I thought it was particularly interesting in regard to Strom's distaste for the regimentation and de-personalization of officials promoted by the NBA.

If nothing else, the book is full of great stories, and it's a great look into the development of professional basketball officiating.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2000, 01:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I know the book is hard to find, but it is well worth the search.

I thought one of the most interesting points in the book was Earl's defense of the preceived practice of officials protecting the superstars. His perspective was that the NBA is entertainment first, sport second.

He also bashes Daryl Garrettson. I wonder if Earl is looking down at Daryl's conviction.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2000, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

His son has written 50 great stories, and they are on this site:
http://www.onhoops.com/content/articles/Earl
Old Thu Jul 06, 2000, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I'm a "newbie" who also took Mark's recommendation to read this book. Thanks Mark...a great read. It is a little hard to find since it is "out-of-print" but actually my local library had it. Also a company called Harvest Books had it to purchase if anyone is looking to buy it. Anyway, it's a great story about a very interesting person! I particularly like his five points that he looks for in a official (towards the end of the book). Mark, what do you think about what he has to say about correcting mistakes? How does one pull this off without looking like total incompetent? I made an error last night at a girls' summer league game on a backcourt violation (I shouldn't have called it). I stuck with the call but could I have called an inadvertent whistle and returned the ball to the team in possession? I guess I'm still learning...I think about things too much I suppose. But anyway, back to Strom's book. The last thing I want to say, as a mother of three children myself, Mrs. Strom is to be commended for the years she "pulled the cart" on the homefront while Earl advanced in his career. I hope all of you fathers (and mothers) out there, who officiate, appreciate those at home taking care of things while you pursue your officiating vocation. I'll shut now...good luck!
Old Thu Jul 06, 2000, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Oops! I meant to say..."I'll shut-up now". Bye!
Closed Thread