Thread: Earl Strom Book
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 06, 2000, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I'm a "newbie" who also took Mark's recommendation to read this book. Thanks Mark...a great read. It is a little hard to find since it is "out-of-print" but actually my local library had it. Also a company called Harvest Books had it to purchase if anyone is looking to buy it. Anyway, it's a great story about a very interesting person! I particularly like his five points that he looks for in a official (towards the end of the book). Mark, what do you think about what he has to say about correcting mistakes? How does one pull this off without looking like total incompetent? I made an error last night at a girls' summer league game on a backcourt violation (I shouldn't have called it). I stuck with the call but could I have called an inadvertent whistle and returned the ball to the team in possession? I guess I'm still learning...I think about things too much I suppose. But anyway, back to Strom's book. The last thing I want to say, as a mother of three children myself, Mrs. Strom is to be commended for the years she "pulled the cart" on the homefront while Earl advanced in his career. I hope all of you fathers (and mothers) out there, who officiate, appreciate those at home taking care of things while you pursue your officiating vocation. I'll shut now...good luck!