The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2
How do you let a referee know that he needs to improve or retire. I've worked several games with a fella who has in excess of 30 years of NFHS experience. Great ref...great judgement...decent mechanics....decent shape. I respect the hell out of him and I've learned a lot from him. He just doesn't understand three-man mechanics. We've gotten in many adverse situations where all three officials were out of position due directly to his inability to remember to rotate. I've tried good natured humor and some light yet serious discussion. I will not go to our assignor...I consider taking that kind of step to be.....disloyal...underhanded.

Input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Redwood City, CA
Posts: 53
Rotating

One technique that has worked for me when the lead won't rotate is to have the "C" force the rotation by sliding back into the trail position. As the C, if you want a rotation and aren't getting it, it is probably because you need to get a better angle on the play by moving into the trail position.

In my pregame with my partners, we go over how to recognize when a C is forcing a rotation and make sure that everyone else reacts accordingly. Usually if this occurs once during a game, the lead will recognize this situation next time down the court and rotate on their own.

If you are dealing with someone that is stubborn and just doesn't want to cooperate, then you have other problems. But remember, you are only as good as your crew and you are just as responsible for making sure that the crew has a good game as anybody else. If you really have a problem you should talk to the assignor.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Ohawk


...

Input is appreciated.
Yeah, you and your other partner, who presumably does understand 3 whistle, need to adjust. At least until your vet can start to come up to speed. If he's as good as you say he is it should be worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 07:47am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally posted by Ohawk
How do you let a referee know that he needs to improve or retire. I've worked several games with a fella who has in excess of 30 years of NFHS experience. Great ref...great judgement...decent mechanics....decent shape. I respect the hell out of him and I've learned a lot from him. He just doesn't understand three-man mechanics. We've gotten in many adverse situations where all three officials were out of position due directly to his inability to remember to rotate. I've tried good natured humor and some light yet serious discussion. I will not go to our assignor...I consider taking that kind of step to be.....disloyal...underhanded.

Input is appreciated.
Have you tried using a magnetic pre-game board, and then tried whipping it out at 1/2-time ?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 08:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 9,104
Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
. . .and then tried whipping it out at 1/2-time ?
WHAT?!?! Why in the world would you. . . oh. OH!! The board! Ok, yeah, that'd be ok.

Chuck

Sorry, an old Blazing Saddles joke, when the new sheriff "whips out" a copy of his speech. Couldn't help myself
__________________
Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 09:04am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 412
Chuck,
For that you deserve a "laurel.... and hearty handshake."
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 09:14am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Chuck,
For that you deserve a "laurel.... and hearty handshake."
...But watch what yer grabbin'...!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 10:33am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Chuck,
For that you deserve a "laurel.... and hearty handshake."
Agree!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1