The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

...you see something new every game:

1.0 sec left in game. Team A down by 1, no TOs.

Team B at line shooting bonus. Coach A tells players to keep violating the lane to allow B1 to make both FTs, and ensure at least a chance for a 3 pointer to extend the game.

Took B1 5 attempts to make 2. Team A got a pass to halfcourt, but couldn't get the shot off in time.

I'm sure someone will argue "travesty", but I believe there's nothing to call. None of the violations were unsporting in nature, A1 & A2 merely stepped on the lane line.

(I also thought if team B has the AP, coach B could tell B1 to airball twice, and they'll get the ball back on a double violation)

Anyone seen this before?
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

PLAY THIS OUT. . .

So what if coach B sees what's going on, and tells his player to keep missing? You've got to stop this travesty somewhere.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 04:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by pizanno
...you see something new every game:

1.0 sec left in game. Team A down by 1, no TOs.

Team B at line shooting bonus. Coach A tells players to keep violating the lane to allow B1 to make both FTs, and ensure at least a chance for a 3 pointer to extend the game.

Took B1 5 attempts to make 2. Team A got a pass to halfcourt, but couldn't get the shot off in time.

I'm sure someone will argue "travesty", but I believe there's nothing to call. None of the violations were unsporting in nature, A1 & A2 merely stepped on the lane line.

(I also thought if team B has the AP, coach B could tell B1 to airball twice, and they'll get the ball back on a double violation)

Anyone seen this before?
Sounds like it's time to take a walk over to the coach and mention the word "travesty".
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[/B]

Sounds like it's time to take a walk over to the coach and mention the word "travesty". [/B]
To which coach? It seemed that B1 was trying to make FTs. If coach B tells his player to intentionally miss, then we can consider (but I'd wait a couple of FTs...trying to miss can be just as challenging as trying to make).
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 04:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Could a case be made for calling a T based on Rule 10-3-7.a? I know it's a stretch, but if we have to put an end to the circle....

snaqs
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by pizanno
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like it's time to take a walk over to the coach and mention the word "travesty". [/B]
To which coach? It seemed that B1 was trying to make FTs. If coach B tells his player to intentionally miss, then we can consider (but I'd wait a couple of FTs...trying to miss can be just as challenging as trying to make). [/B]
Not if you throw the ball towards the other goal. Missing is very easy that way.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Not if you throw the ball towards the other goal. Missing is very easy that way.
Airball. Double Violation. Next FT or AP.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

double violation may be just right for one team

If B has the arrow, double violation is in its best interest. If A has the arrow, the coach who tells his players to violate will get even better than he wants with a double violation.

I certainly don't see it as a travesty if A is doing the only thing possible to secure victory. Some folks see zone defense as a "travesty".
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone else ever seen this? (I've thought it made sense as a strategy in an alternative setting: A1 shooting, down by 2 with 1 second left, trying to miss for a chance at the tip in.)
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 12:37am
We don't rent pigs

All of this, in my estimation, falls under the paragraph on page 8, THE INTENT AND PURPOSE OF THE RULES. "....it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation.
A player or a team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule."
I think it is fair to say that this was not the intent of the lane violation rule. I believe that I did see this situation in a college game on TV once. After the second violation the official stepped in and said something while making the "T" sign. I assume it was something along the lines of: "Okay, guys, I see what you're trying to do. Next one will be a technical foul." There were no more violations.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

After the second violation the official stepped in and said something while making the "T" sign. I assume it was something along the lines of: "Okay, guys, I see what you're trying to do. Next one will be a technical foul." There were no more violations.

No violations there, BUT what if this was the case after the official spoke to the players...

You have the knucklehead that is 8' tall in there, off the bench, just to rebound. He gives a legit attempt to rebound and still violates. "Got to tech him now".

The more we say the more often we can get in trouble.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

As a former coach and now a new ref I think this is a great move by Team A. I also agree as a ref you would have to step in and stop it eventually.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 08:51am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
All of this, in my estimation, falls under the paragraph on page 8, THE INTENT AND PURPOSE OF THE RULES. "....it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation.
A player or a team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule."
I think it is fair to say that this was not the intent of the lane violation rule. I believe that I did see this situation in a college game on TV once. After the second violation the official stepped in and said something while making the "T" sign. I assume it was something along the lines of: "Okay, guys, I see what you're trying to do. Next one will be a technical foul." There were no more violations.
I like it, justa.
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

double FT violation

If this were the first of two free throws and there was a double violation, the shooting team loses the first shot and then you adminster the second FT,right?
Old Wed Feb 05, 2003, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Re: double FT violation

Quote:
Originally posted by Troward
If this were the first of two free throws and there was a double violation, the shooting team loses the first shot and then you adminster the second FT,right?
Yeah, but if it's the first of two and the team is using this strategy, they are REALLY stupid . . .