The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

I am new to the officiating side of hoops. Coached the last 7 years and was watching a varsity game last night and was asked an interesting question by a guy I used to coach with that I could not answer confidently.

Team A is down in the final minute and are subing off and def players. Team A scores a basket and calls timeout. Team A subs def players. Team B inbounds after the timeout and trys to go long and hits the ceiling. Team A gets the ball and subs their off players back in. The question to me was is that allowed since no time came off the clock. I said yes because there was a violation. Is that correct? FYI the subs were allowed in the game.

Thanks
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
A player who is removed, or who is directed to leave the game must remain out of the game until the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has properly started.

Chuck
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

The stipulation of the clock starting only applies to those players that have been replaced due to injury or equipment problems. Otherwise they are allowed to sub.

Mregor
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Thanks...so if I understand you correctly this sub was ok
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 09:56am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ptobs*
Thanks...so if I understand you correctly this sub was ok
The subs are not legal.
Look at Chucks reply.
Chuck is correct as usual.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

It is amazing that no one picked up on this and said something.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 10:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
It is amazing that no one picked up on this and said something.
This is pretty hard for an Official to do unless they know the players or their numbers quite well. Let's put that one on the table or assistant coaches.
We can enforce it, but to notice that from the floor we'd have to be very lucky.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

To be honest, I did not think anything of it and I was watching the game trying to learn. It was the coach sitting next to me who picked up on it. The only reason the officials could have know was the Team A was subing 4 guys at a time.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 10:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
To be honest, I did not think anything of it and I was watching the game trying to learn. It was the coach sitting next to me who picked up on it. The only reason the officials could have know was the Team A was subing 4 guys at a time.
If you think about what caught you friend's attention, I would bet it was a memorable player.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Another Illegal Sub situation

Caught a coach pulling a sneeky one the other day. Not sure what the purpose was. Rebounding maybe??

Bonus situation; front end of the one-and-one; subs come in; those leaving speak to coach and immediately go to the table for re-entry; first shot is made; coach wants his players back in the game; clock has not run ==> you cannot re-enter; second shot is made and coach again wants his players back in the game; clock has not run ==> players cannot re-enter.

Why would the coach be doing this?
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
My guess is the coach was mostly just trying to talk to his players as though in a time-out. My other guess is that he didn't know the rule, so he wasn't really trying to "pull a fast one", just trying to take advantage of a situation. Most coaches I know will get their kids to the bench and either wait for them to be whistled in, or get a time-out if it is urgent.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
The stipulation of the clock starting only applies to those players that have been replaced due to injury or equipment problems. Otherwise they are allowed to sub.

Mregor
Roger, that's not true. The rule applies to all re-entering subs.

3-3-4
A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 04, 2003, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Bingo! Winner!

You are right Tony, BBRef, and that is why I started to make my reply ... then got carried away with a different situation.

I'll try a little harder to stay on topic - stay in the game.